Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moved to the UK, have US FAA PPL

I moved to the UK and carry a FAA PPL.

What are my options ? I have to rent a plane for the coming year to do some fun flying in the UK but I can't find N-regged rentals in the EGBJ area.

I also wish to do the IMC rating.

Thanks for the help.

YSS
EGBJ

If you have an FAA IR then you can get the IMCR issued onto a UK PPL for something like £70. But only if you have had an IPC within the past X (12 or 24?) months; the CAA refuses to honour the FAA IR 6/6 rolling currency.

Anyway, if you want the IMCR you need to sort out a UK PPL and a UK Class 2 medical. The PPL is the 100hr route so if you have 100hrs it is 2 exams and a PPL skills test IIRC.

Then you can do the IMCR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for your answer,

Yes, I would like to have a UK PPL since then I can rent a G plane.

So I get the UK Class 2 Medical and since I have more than 100hours I have to do the written exams and the flight test ? I don't need to do any flight training ?

Thanks

YSS
EGBJ

Yes, I would like to have a UK PPL since then I can rent a G plane>

Until April 2014 at least, you are perfectly legal to fly a G reg day VFR private ops.... AFAIK the UK is one of the only states which allows this with no requirement for a validation....I did this for quite a few years on my Australian licence....but as pointed out to get the night and IMC ratings it was necessary to get the UK licence....and in theory this would apply to G reg worldwide but you may have a tough time convincing a foreign regulator should the need ever arise....

Anyway post April 2014 this will no longer be possible as the UK CAA derogation will expire and full EASA rules will prevail....

But for now as long as your FAA medical is good you can fly....

Hope this helps

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Until April 2014 at least, you are perfectly legal to fly a G reg day VFR private ops

I thought that too but Tumbleweed disagrees with it.

It sounds like the April 2014 date is merely the EASA FCL "N-reg shafting if operator EU based" derogation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Until April 2014 at least, you are perfectly legal to fly a G reg day VFR private ops....

So we were lead to believe, but this Article 62 permission ceased to exist for EASA aircraft from 17 Sep 2012. It is still valid for Annex II aircraft.

I stand corrected...but I'm sure the great majority of us didn't / don't realize some of these things...my head hurts!

Looking at CAP 804 Part 4 Section Q

Article 62 of the Air Navigation Order grants a permanent general validation to all non- UK licence holders to allow them to fly UK-registered aircraft, provided that the flight is for non-commercial purposes and the licence holder does not receive remuneration for the flight. The EASA Aircrew Regulation will override Article 62 in respect of EASA aircraft being flown for non-commercial purposes from 8 April 2014.

So yet again the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing!

Just reading CAP393 (ano2009), it seems the intent of Article 62 is to preserve the right for any ICAO licence holder to fly uk registered non-easa aircraft.....presumably until 2014....

What are the 2 exams ? Air law and Navigation ?

22 Posts
Sign in to add your message