Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

14 CFR 61.75 questions

I have some questions about US pilot licensing that I have not found the answer to in the FAQs and that I hoped the community might provide the answer to.

I currently hold a US pilot’s license delivered under the provisions of 14 CFR 61.75 based on an EASA PPL and SEP rating. To my US license I have added an IR and the license mentions “A-SEL US test passed”.

Since the issuance of the US license, I have obtained a EASA MEP rating (fresh from yesterday!) and I passed the EASA (CB-)IR skill test last week.

Can I have the multi-engine rating added to my US license under the provisions of 61.75, i.e. without further testing by a US examiner?
What is the process for this?
Would I need to visit a FSDO or can it all be done by mail?

My next challenge is to obtain an EASA MEI (multi-engine instrument).

Given that I already have a US A-SEL IR, and hence hence have passed the US written test, what would it require to obtain a US Multi-engine instrument? Would it require a flight test?

Last Edited by Aviathor at 20 May 06:20
LFPT, LFPN

My reading of the regulation is that once you have your Pilot License issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, you can obtain a US pilot certificate based on that license. So once you have your multi-engine license with instrument, you should be able to have it added to your existing US 91.75 certificate at the private pilot level. Since you have already passed your instrument knowledge test, there would not be any testing or flight testing required. It should read as Single and Multiengine – Land with Instrument ratings.

The process is described at https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

KUZA, United States

Thanks @NCYankee.

This is also my understanding of FAR 61.75. Contrary to what is the case in Europe, in the U.S. AFAIU an instrument rating is not limited to a class of airplanes. In Europe you need a checkride for single-engine instrument, and another for multi-engine instrument.

I did however get into a discussion with an ATO at Toussus-le-Noble about this. They claim I need training and a checkride for the multi-engine instrument. Hence my hesitation.

In order to get the new license issued with the multi-engine rating, the only constraint I see is that I probably need to visit a FSDO in the U.S.

Edit:

So once you have your multi-engine license with instrument

AFAIU I would not even need the IR on my foreign license since I had a US IR before I even got the foreign IR. I did both the TK and practical tests in the US years ago.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 20 May 15:15
LFPT, LFPN

When the US IR test is taken and subsequently a multi check ride takes place, there isn’t an additional knowledge exam, but tasks on the Multiengine checkride include the instrument rating. Here is an excerpt from the FAA PTS for the Instrument rating:

If an applicant holds both single-engine and multiengine class ratings on a pilot certificate and takes the instrument rating practical test in a single-engine airplane, the certificate issued must bear the limitation “Multiengine Limited to VFR Only.” If the applicant takes the test in a multiengine airplane, the instrument privileges will be automatically conferred for the airplane single-engine rating.

If you just obtained your multi rating but did not also hold a multi – instrument rating, I would expect the same limitation would appear on your US certificate. On the other hand if you first also obtained your multi-instrument and then requested the US 61.75 certificate be updated, it would not have the multi VFR limitation. In any case, you don’t need to take an FAA practical or Knowledge exam, it all depends on your own country issued certificate. If it were me, I would not submit my certificate twice to add the FAA privilege, I would wait until both multi and instrument appeared on my country certificate and update once.

KUZA, United States

Thanks. That does make a lot of sense. I was surprised that no multi-engine IR checkride was required. So I’ll get working on my MEI. It’s only a few hours’ fun workout. My thighs will get all firmed up.

LFPT, LFPN
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message