Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

Mine has CB IR/day only in the comment section

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Another load of nonsense from the CAA. It is an IR, the CB part is irrelevant.

Tumbleweed wrote:

the CB part is irrelevant.

As far as theory is concerned, it isn’t. It’s relevant for an HPA course. The practical part shouldn’t matter.

CB-IR Training around London, UK

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience doing the CB-IR course at a school near London? Any recommendations / thoughts or things to keep in mind? Living in London and would be looking for anything that isn’t too far out the way.

Thanks!

EGSX

I remember Stapleford going it.
I did mine at Rate One (Gloucester) and would recommend them. Did it over 4 weekends (Last of Jan, first of Feb, then 2 3-day weekends in may). I stayed at Airbnb nearby, found that it was good to be able to relax and not travel a ton before / after, and have no distractions.

(I had an IR(R), but I imagine most of the people going for the CBIR in the UK have it anyway)

Last Edited by Noe at 02 Nov 10:47

When I inquired, southend would also do it. Commute is super easy from east London, since it’s a frequent (many times per hour) 1h train ride from the airport into liverpool street.

There is Booker/ High wycombe too.

Fairoaks/EGTF

Christophe wrote:

There is Booker/ High wycombe too.

Their problem is horrendous opening hours, but I guess anyway you are not going to do more than 2 flights per day (3-4h flying) so that might be enough. From their website:
Op hrs: PPR. 0900-1600 (Winter) and 0900-1730 (Summer and by arrangement)

I was told they also close for lunch but might be wrong

Stapleford is quite helpful in terms of operating hours (disclosure I do some freelance instructing and AOC work at Stapleford), and IR instructors have their keys to the SIM building and its not unheard of that they will start early (0600) and finish late (2000).

Runway lights can also be arranged for early or evening training. The ATO enjoys a good reputation both with the CAA and the quality control organisations. The instructors, especially on the IR, are experienced with ex RAF instructors and ex Commercial Transport types. Routes are mainly Southend, Cambridge, Cranfield and Norwich.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Sitting the CBIR written exams

Hello all.
I’m new at Euroga so thanks in advance for your indulgence in case my question was already answered by someone, though I couldn’t find anything. I’m currently preparing for the 7 CBIR exams after having passed the EASA PPL recently. I should add for completeness that I received an FAA CPL-IR in 1979 but did not fly (regretfully) ever since. Being retired now at age 60 I decided to pick up flying again. I also got the FAA licence revalidated although without the IR for the moment.
Now to the question : I noticed there is almost no infirmation at all on the conditions to sit the 7 CBIR exams i.e. how many questions and how much time available to answer them for each subject. From the very few posts I found on internet all were from UK. To my amazement it looks like (from those reports) that one has the choice of spreading those exams over an undefined period ( correct me if I’m wrong). Also, it seems that the number of questions and time allowed varies from what I’m doing (in Luxembourg using Petersoftware/Boeing from Germany). From the information I currently have the exams have to be done within a couple of days (though I did not ask our CAA yet) and are set up as follows :
Air Law- 45 minutes – 30 questions
Instrumentation – 30 minutes – 20 questions
Flight Planning – 1H30 – 33 questions
Human Performance – 45 minutes – 30 questions
Meteorology – 1H30 – 63 questions
Radio Navigation – 1 H – 34 questions
Communication – 30 minutes -30 questions
I’d be grateful to hear if this is different in the various EASA countries or asked the other way around, shouldn’t this be one single standard ?
Thanks.

Last Edited by gildnn at 27 Mar 19:57
EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg
Sign in to add your message