Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

Congratulations Nestor!! You will never look back now

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Congrats!

always learning
LO__, Austria

I wanted to exercise my new privileges for a EuroGA meet-up failing COVID…

LFLY, France

I’ve been chatting with an FAA/EASE CFI in France about what I need to do when I move there. She pointed me to:

https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-11004-2019-INIT/en/pdf local copy

saying that this is so recent that nobody really quite knows how to implement it yet. I read through it and it looks as though to get an EASA PPL based on FAA experience, you need to do a knowledge test and a checkride, and similarly for IR. Thing is, this doesn’t seem any different than the current situation.

Anybody else run into this? Any thoughts?

And congratulations, Nestor. I’ve never flown IFR in Europe and tbh I find it all a bit daunting. But it is a totally different and actually much easier way to fly here in the US.

John

LFMD, France

I think that PDF preceeds the FAA-EASA treaty which has just been agreed – see here. Yes; there doesn’t seem to be any change from the existing ICAO IR to EASA IR conversion route.

IFR in Europe is much easier than VFR. It is just like in the US for the most part. What differs is the way the VFR sections at the ends are done, and if the airport is OCAS then you will be VFR, or something like that The US has CAS down to a low level (Class E) and that makes IFR procedures more straightforward. I have some writeups here which show the details, and a load of videos here of which some have the ATC sound track end to end. I don’t fly VFR outside the UK and have not done so since I got the IR – except for trivial short routes.

Administrator

Congratulations Nestor.
I’m a ‘covid mess’ behind you and hope to complete quite early in 2021.
Well done.

United Kingdom

@Peter

IFR in Europe is much easier than VFR

I certainly want to believe you but…

• have to file the flight plan n hours before with Eurocontrol
  • get handed off in random ways when crossing between countries (like the business where you lose IFR crossing into UK airspace because you’re at an altitude they can’t handle)
  • paying for instrument approaches
  • MEAs tend to be way up in the oxygen levels even when the terrain doesn’t demand it
  • have to use approved airports when travelling between countries (true for VFR also of course)

Like I say, daunting if not downright scary.

[ bullet points fixed – please use the asterisk ]

LFMD, France

have to file the flight plan n hours before with Eurocontrol

Minutes before works fine.

get handed off in random ways when crossing between countries (like the business where you lose IFR crossing into UK airspace because you’re at an altitude they can’t handle)

Setting side the bizzare UK system where they dump you after you spend any time in Class G this does actually work around Europe, and it works in the UK too if you can fly high enough (in CAS)

paying for instrument approaches

They are normally free if you land

MEAs tend to be way up in the oxygen levels even when the terrain doesn’t demand it

Indeed, due to high CAS bases. So lots of people get an IR to fly in CAVOK and for a decent ATC service

have to use approved airports when travelling between countries (true for VFR also of course)

Within schengen it is mostly ok. Outside, you need Customs/Immigration as appropriate. Indeed; not like the US, but the US is one country. Europe has about 30, with different cultures, languages, etc.

Europe works pretty well for GA but one has to pick one’s battles, to get good value out of flying. It is usually difficult to fly for business, due to airports in the wrong places and with wrong facilities. Some manage it well, but they are rare and they are based at some big airport and are flying to another big airport. For recreation, it works very well – see my writeups link. Europe has a lot to explore.

We have a zoom video meetup every Tuesday 1900 UTC and it’s a great place to pop up and ask any questions.

Administrator

johnh wrote:

I certainly want to believe you but…

have to file the flight plan n hours before with Eurocontrol
Most of the times I file autoroutes via foreflight minutes before departure. In the 1/100 cases where foreflight doesn’t find a route, I use autorouter (free, simple, telegram app is excellent for wx/notams as well).

get handed off in random ways when crossing between countries (like the business where you lose IFR crossing into UK airspace because you’re at an altitude they can’t handle)
I’ve flown IFR in the UK and it was not difficult or different.

paying for instrument approaches
Yes, it is more expensive here, but most of the times, the approach is included in the landing fee. At least e.g. for LOWG, the landing is the same cost if VFR or IFR.

MEAs tend to be way up in the oxygen levels even when the terrain doesn’t demand it
Apart from the alps, you’ll usually find something below 10k (at least I do)

have to use approved airports when travelling between countries (true for VFR also of course)
Generally, not required within the EU provided the country is a Schengen Treaty member (= immigration union).
Exceptions are e.g. Greece.

Like I say, daunting if not downright scary.

You will see that IFR is pretty easy here.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 06 Dec 21:43
always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks, I look forward to finding out for myself!

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message