Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

johnh wrote:

I certainly want to believe you but…
  • have to file the flight plan n hours before with Eurocontrol

Formally, you have to file 60 minutes ahead, but that isn’t enforced – in practise the limit is that there must be time enough to distribute the flight plan. (Flight plan submission portals may enforce the 60 minute limit – e.g. the Sweden ARO web site does – but Eurocontrol itself does not.) If there is flow control you’ll be disadvantaged in the slot allocation if you file less than three hours ahead.

• get handed off in random ways when crossing between countries (like the business where you lose IFR crossing into UK airspace because you’re at an altitude they can’t handle)

Absolutely not. That is only ever an issue if you are flying uncontrolled IFR and even then I’ve only heard of problems when you enter UK airspace.

• paying for instrument approaches

That very much depends on the airport and national traditions.

• MEAs tend to be way up in the oxygen levels even when the terrain doesn’t demand it

It is unusual to find airway MEAs higher than FL100 unless the terrain does demand it. And even if you do, you can generally fly lower by filing direct – possiby in class G airspace.

• have to use approved airports when travelling between countries (true for VFR also of course)

That is not the case when flying between the EU members that are also members of the Schengen agreement. They make up most of the European countries (22 out of 27 EU countries) and include all countries in central Europe except Switzerland.

OTOH, the same it true for the US as well, isn’t it? The difference being that a US GA pilot seldom has reason to fly to other countries.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 07 Dec 08:25
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

IFR flight to Exeter in September through an Occluded front; with an extremely turbulent departure from Stapleford and some hard IMC. Was the Continuous Descent Approach a Fluke?

And finally, the issues with the ATC audio quality are now a thing of the past, with a new improved set up to record that all-important in-flight chatter. If anyone wants help with that, I am happy to discuss it.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Interesting. What was the embd CB (no pun!) situation on this CB-IR training flight?

always learning
LO__, Austria

No embedded cb on this flight.

EGSG, United Kingdom

None forecast? Asking because frontal weather…

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

None forecast? Asking because frontal weather…

Nope, I wouldn’t have launched with embedded CB. I don’t even leave the house with that.

EGSG, United Kingdom

One of the benefits of General Aviation, seeing the world from above. We share these experiences with our friends and family in the hope they will live with that memory forever. 2020 really has made you appreciate life that little bit more…..

After a rather challenging IFR flight from Stapleford, a Toby Carvery making me 1kg heavier; we fly back to London at FL70

EGSG, United Kingdom

Thanks. Nice video. Which engine is in the da40?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Thanks. Nice video. Which engine is in the da40?

It’s an updated version of the TAE 125-02-99. I think the engine is in its second year now.

TCDS

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 28 Dec 23:36
EGSG, United Kingdom

So the CD-135. How does the plane fly? How’s the climb/cruise performance?

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message