Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

Peter wrote:

In an ideal world, yes, but clearly different ATOs interpret it differently and some disregard the credits totally.

Well, in that case it is impossible to give a single answer your question of “what are the exact requirements.” You’d have to ask every individual ATO.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My IMC (r) was done at an ATO with an IRI.
All relevant time was ‘instrument flight time’ either IMC or Hood. Nothing IFR
I had 15hrs instrument flight time instruction to pass.
I had 15hrs+ of instrument flight logged as P1 so that gave me the 30hrs ‘ready’ for ATO minimum 10hrs. Which would give the 40 hrs required.
Obviously under normal circumstances of time line, being old and grey, having a bad day etc 10hrs is a bit tight and most need more.

If flying regularly, have learned from an IR pilot (dad), just recently done the IMC and going straight into it 10hrs my be fine.
I was asked to enter xcountry hrs on the form, and IIFC was asked to not use anything less than 50nm and nothing returning home, only land aways.

Personally, for ease, I used the school aircraft and made a decision that I would enjoy self adapting back to my regular aircraft, even if practice flights were VMC or under the hood with safety-pilot friend. Happy with that choice looking back.
I used Cambridge and was very happy with them.

United Kingdom

Forgot to add, it’s just an opinion, but I think the requirement for the IMC to be taught by an IRI is because there is more lilelyhood of the training being inline with the Instrument pilot approach to things.
The IRI may potentially be training both types of students regularly and not really change his approach to it very much.
My IRI pretty much trained me like an abbreviated IR rather than a slightly vague version of it (cloud rating).
I have spoken to people who have done the IMC and heard from them noticable differences in their final level of achievement.
I know that can happen with anything, but the chap that did my IR this time, also does IMC and I know for a fact his students will be very capable and knowledgeable.

United Kingdom

The IR can be taught by an “FI IR” (with some detail in the actual privileges) which is just as well since an IRI requires 800 hours under IFR compared with only 200 for the FI “add on”. So IRI certificate holders are quite rare. It’s just a restrictive practice, IMHO.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I finally found all holes in the slices of cheese aligning themselves and had me register for the CB-IR theory exam in about a month.

Did anybody sit the theory exam for the EASA CB-IR recently and could say whether the questions in the exam are related to the questions provided by AviationExam? I’ve read some stories that lately the questions in the exam were practically all new, which of course would raise the amount of preparation work to be done a slight little bit.

Germany

Recent feedback from students indicate a lot of “new” questions. However, those who were well prepared really had no trouble passing. But those who just memorized the question bank did not do well at all.

Sadly, my experience teaching CB-IR is that both Aviation Exam and the official exams have some trouble on filtering correct questions for the CB-IR according to the learning objectives, especially the Norwegian CAA. But as long as all students complain when encountering this, it should gradually get better. I’m actually going to meet N-CAA on Monday on behalf of a student to complain.

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

ErlendV wrote:

Recent feedback from students indicate a lot of “new” questions. However, those who were well prepared really had no trouble passing. But those who just memorized the question bank did not do well at all.

That’s what I hear from all sides. AviationExam is doing huge updates to the question database nearly every day.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

I finally found all holes in the slices of cheese aligning themselves and had me register for the CB-IR theory exam in about a month.

Did anybody sit the theory exam for the EASA CB-IR recently and could say whether the questions in the exam are related to the questions provided by AviationExam? I’ve read some stories that lately the questions in the exam were practically all new, which of course would raise the amount of preparation work to be done a slight little bit.

@UdoR, I’ve just done all the CB-IR exams in the UK (the feedback is that the questions are similar between the EASA & UK), and for HPL it was different, for other exams it was mostly as per AviationExam.

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

I’ve just done all the CB-IR exams in the UK

Well, congrats! Great you’ve done it!

I’m not sure whether relying on memorizing the questions still sounds like a good idea. However, I don’t know if I’d have enough time to really dig deep into all possible details. Because in the new questions I’ve seen so far there are a lot of new aspects which I’d never had read through. I want that rating for flying, not for studying.

Last Edited by UdoR at 19 May 07:46
Germany

UdoR wrote:

I’m not sure whether relying on memorizing the questions still sounds like a good idea. However, I don’t know if I’d have enough time to really dig deep into all possible details. Because in the new questions I’ve seen so far there are a lot of new aspects which I’d never had read through. I want that rating for flying, not for studying.

No! The point is not memorising the questions but understanding how to answer those (the perverted logic :) ), and memorising the FACTS that are required to answer those questions. Also understanding how to use the training manual (GSPRM) during the exam (FP&P) and so on. You would need to find quickly the correct charts/plates and the right area on the chart. During the exam they ask you questions about the limited amount of charts/areas/routes (like AMS, Alicante etc – your school will help with that), but if you’ve answered the AviationExam questions while using the paper charts, believe me you WILL answer faster during the exam. Also know you calculator – mine just hung at one point and reset and switched to simple fractions, so if you type, say, 3/8 the result is 3/8! :) Lost some time resetting it back.

I failed just one attempt – AGK – instruments. There are only 12 questions in that exam and if you forgot a topic or two and misread the other question, then you are stuffed.

But, what I was trying to say was: go through all the quesitons on AviationExam, answer all the questions successfully at least twice, that way you will know which topics are hard for you. There is no point in memorising the answers, you need to memorise the facts.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message