Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

Am I right that an ab initio CB IR needs just 10hrs at the FTO and another 30 can be done with a freelance IRI?

The potential cost and hassle savings are substantial.

Obviously if you can find an IRI who is familiar with the way the FTO (of choice) operates, that’s a bonus. If he/she is familiar with the way the IR examiner operates, that’s even better.

I have already written much on this topic but the biggest issue with own-plane people is that most FTOs don’t want to take on anybody with their own plane. So that is the first issue to take care of. Finding a freelance IRI for the 30hrs (or whatever it takes to get good enough) should be a lot easier, and he/she will probably quite like flying in something nice for a change

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You don’t even need an IRI for the other 30 hours. 10 hours must be at an ATO, 15 hours must be dual instrument flight instruction (not necessarily with an IRI), and the remaining 15 hours can be flight time as PIC under IFR. So you could do the IR(R) and the very simple exam that goes with it, then fly 15 hours yourself, and top off with the 10 hours at the ATO.

Not saying that means you could pass an IR flight test after that route, but it’s theoretically possible!

Last Edited by stevelup at 12 Oct 19:18

Freelance CBIR instructors

Could anybody give me an idea what the going rate is?

Good question, advanced training is typically between GBP35 and 45 per hour, for the instructor.

If in your aircraft the instructor would need to check insurance, and he needs to be qualified to teach IR with a valid IR. I don’t think you can count towards CB IR if the instructor is just an IMC(R) without a valid IR. There is still a minimum of hours with an ATO.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

In my experience £35 – £45 per flying hour is a bit on the low side. Quality isn’t cheap and a good instructor achieves more in an hour and saves you aircraft costs.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Quality isn’t cheap and a good instructor achieves more in an hour

This is certainly true; however, on the other hand, the very best instructors sometimes aren’t in it for the money. In fact, I received a few hours of very valuable instruction almost gratuitously from one well-respected member of EuroGA and other aviation forums. I won’t mention the name for obvious reasons, but if you are reading this – thank you once again, I was rereading your notes just a few days ago.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

One guy I know charges £150 for a whole day, during which you might do 2 flights if you are up to it.

No instructor is going to drive to the airfield, do a 1hr flight (which is as much as most people can take), debrief, drive back home and do all that for £50.

So much will depend on how far he has to travel, etc.

The number of private pilots doing an IR is and always will be miniscule so there is no “going rate” as such.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am not so sure about this. I know of one wannabe who is very much looking at doing the CBIR probably because he already has 15 odd hours he can count from his IMC rating.

No instructor is going to drive to the airfield, do a 1hr flight (which is as much as most people can take), debrief, drive back home and do all that for £50.

Maybe if the instructor is going to be in his office at the airfield anyway it’s not quite so clear cut!

To be fair how much flying people can take varies tremendously depending on what’s being done and experience level, as more experienced pilots are intrinsically more familiar and consequently less fatigued by the basics of flying an aeroplane.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

For those of you who might be interested about CB-IR and EIR in Norway, the implementation process is progressing although not at the pace previously announced by LT. There is a document by LT now subject to consultation among various government bodies. The deadline for replies is November 10th. In that document LT state they are in favor of the proposed rules.

I am not sure what the process will be from here, but I suppose it will be subjected to the vote of the Storting (Norwegian parliament).

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message