Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

Yes or the instructor could act as pilot-in-command under another licence.

London, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It would be interesting to find out how many CB IR holders made a significant use of the “30 hrs with a freelance IRI” option. The only way would be to ask them. Are any here who can say?

I did. When stepping up directly from “6 month fresh PPL and club-rented C172/C182/P28A” to my Silver Eagle, I passed the formal class rating, I signed up for the local ATO’s computer-based distance learning for the theory, and in parallel I flew extensively with an IRI / CRI / safety pilot / … on the Silver Eagle. It was, all combined, the training / development into “higher altitude” (oxygen territory) flight, pressurised flight, IFR, turbine (and the type in general), etc.

We generally flew where I had to for business, sometimes purely for pleasure, as opposed to strictly to lesson plans. The learning was done around the operational needs, which doesn’t mean it wasn’t done seriously; we had real briefings, real homework, etc. I accumulated experience that way. The experience/training that I wouldn’t get “naturally” in these flights, we organised artificially: e.g. fly without AP or partial panel even though everything was perfectly operative, do a 2D approach even in the presence of a perfectly functional ILS, or shoot some approaches at some airport on the way to destination. He was happy to play tourist in the city/town while I had my business meetings.

I then did the 10h at the ATO on a SEP (doing e.g. holds, which I hadn’t trained extensively before), and passed the exam on the same SEP. The resulting SE IR is perfectly valid on the SET (Silver Eagle) that I fly on the most.

The result is that I felt perfectly able and current, and didn’t hesitate to use that IR only 3 days after issue for a one-to-two week vacation, flying single pilot :)

ELLX

Great writeup @lionel
CB IR makes sense! Even more so if you own a plane!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hi everyone,

We are two Norwegian pilots working towards our CB-IR, flying with a freelance instrument instructor from Kjeller (ENKJ) in Norway on a DA40-180 with G1000.

We’re approaching 30 hours, and are having a hard time finding a suitable ATO to do the final 10 hours of the program with. The ATOs in Norway seem to be fully booked, and are mostly interested in integrated ATPL students with no capacity for modular students.

Can any of you guys recommend a good ATO where we could be able to complete the last part of the instrument rating? Preferably on a G1000-equipped aircraft. We’re open to travelling, but in that case it would be important for us to have an ATO that would be able to schedule us intensively to reduce the overhead associated with commuting.

Thanks a lot for you input — and looking forward to contributing back to this community over time!

ENGM, Norway

No problem. I can offer/fly the last 10 hours in an ATO with you in a G1000 plane and the subsequent exam all within a few days.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 22 Feb 18:59
always learning
LO__, Austria

Check Linköpings Flygklubb or Airways Flygutbildning in Sweden. One of them will be able to help.

ESSZ, Sweden

I did mine with https://www.rateoneaviation.com/
They do intensive training and will adapt to your needs.
I don’t know what the situation is now with UK CAA and EASA though.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

I did all mine at SSFA at ESMS. No G1000 though.

ESMK, Sweden

Hi Snoopy,
If it worked out for me to head your way, what A/c do you have available? Could you do it on an owner aircraft?
I’m just looking into all this now.

United Kingdom

Hi Pete,
yes, owner aircraft is ok. Currently camo required but this will change as far as I know.

The ato owns c150/152, c172, c182rg. Additionally a c172g1000 is on their certificate.

I’m currently checking if a da40ng g1000 can be added as well.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message