Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

pilotrobbie wrote:

I’ve got the CBIR/EIR ATO theory in the bag. All exams passed.

Presume the UK will do a CAA CBIR?

I have no idea what the UK CAA will do, but judging that AustroControl has set up a test centre in the UK due to popular demand, and by the thousands of pilots with UK issued licenses converting, I’d think about doing the same as long as you can.

You will then have an EASA license, and the UK already agreed to validate those in a no deal brexit scenario IIRC.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 15 Nov 22:15
always learning
LO__, Austria

Having now completed the ATO theory stage of the CBIR and only the PBN examination to complete

I’m surprised that you would need to do any additional PBN theory exam. Didn’t your CBIR exams already have PBN embedded?

The UK CAA have said they would recognise EASA exams taken elsewhere until December 2022.
Perhaps those taken through the UK CAA before end 2020 might be accepted elsewhere but as it stands not those taken from next year. This is why many UK theory ATOs have made arrangements to run exams from Austria-Control or Irish CAA.

You’ll be fine continuing in the UK, will be issued with a CBIR on your UK Part-FCL licence, and can use it worldwide on G-reg aircraft. Training syllabus and skill test unchanged.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

and can use it worldwide on G-reg aircraft.

Which is very limiting isn’t it?

For no extra effort, I’d rather have an easa license (eg via AustroControl) and get a validation from the UKCAA, enabling flying easa and g-registered aircraft.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 16 Nov 00:45
always learning
LO__, Austria

I can’t believe the CB IR will be limited to G-reg. It is an ICAO IR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I can’t believe the CB IR will be limited to G-reg. It is an ICAO IR.

If it is on a UK license, then using it on non G-reg will be subject to approval by the state of registry, That is perfectly normal.

So far, all EASA countries have mutually accepted each other’s licenses but the UK won’t be an EASA country next year.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sure, but very few UK pilots are flying on the UK national PPL.

For many years, it hardly existed, until a recent revival. Even when I did mine in 2000 it was a JAA PPL which automatically became an EASA PPL.

My query was really whether the CBIR itself will have a G-reg limitation on it. I can’t see that; there is nowhere to enter that on the license paperwork itself.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

My query was really whether the CBIR itself will have a G-reg limitation on it. I can’t see that; there is nowhere to enter that on the license paperwork itself.

What do you mean by “CBIR itself”? Ratings never have independent existence – only in association with a specific license. If you have a country A license with IR and a country B license without, then you can’t fly IFR on B-reg aircraft without the B authority accepting the IR which is on the country A license.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes; see my post above. Robbie may one day tell us whether he is flying on an EASA PPL or the ancient UK National PPL but I doubt it is the latter.

Administrator

The point is that the UK-issued “EASA PPL” will not be an EASA PPL anymore as of January 1st, and there is no guarantee that it will be accepted on EASA non G-reg aircraft.

Last Edited by T28 at 16 Nov 13:47
T28
Switzerland

A UK based pilot (like this one) is very unlikely to need to fly a locally registered aircraft when outside the UK, within the EU. In a lot of typical travel destinations, you can’t rent a plane anyway.

The most common scenario is when on holiday to say Jamaica and they will accept any ICAO PPL for that purpose.

If the UK had a large “foreign reg homebuilt” scene, like some mainland countries have (e.g. PH-reg) that would be an issue, but most Annex 1 types are G-reg, under the LAA.

What is quite interesting is what effect this would have on the Brussels attack on N-regs because if a UK pilot is unable to hold EASA papers, there will be no way to comply with this. But… if the UK is not in the EU, that measure will not apply anymore anyway I wonder what the UK CAA is going to do…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message