Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

Peter wrote:

I wonder what the UK CAA is going to do

Initially, nothing CTRL+C & CTRL+V as they have bigger fish to fry in the next 3 years
Later on, nothing as everybody will be holding EASA papers anyway

This is at least the case for gliding where there is a destructive regulation timing, first, EASA introduced Part-FCL to gliding scene with introduce huge barriers to something that was unregulated under the successful BGA system, the UK has now until 2022 to implement Part-FCL for gliding, while the rest of Europe pushed back on Part-FCL for gliding and things are now moving toward new “Part Gliding” a far better system (about what BGA), the UK will continue toward compliance with Part-FCL tough which is the worst of the two worlds

You could argue it’s the same story with IMCr current cutoff date or the new Basic IR…

I am sure UK CAA/DFT would have been far better forcing extensions on “FCL rules” beyond Brexit timelines

But let’s hope, I am wrong

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Nov 14:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Well if a UK pilot is unlikely to fly a non-G reg plane the query of whether “the CBIR itself will have a G-reg limitation on it” is in fact irrelevant, is it not?

T28
Switzerland

pilotrobbie wrote:

I’ve got the CBIR/EIR ATO theory in the bag. All exams passed.

Presume the UK will do a CAA CBIR?

If you’ve got your CB IR/EIR theory at a UK ATO, then you can continue with the practical & skills test in the UK, AFAIK.
But it will be valid worldwide on a G-reg a/c only (and N-reg in the UK, I think) from 1-Jan-2021.

EGTR

Snoopy wrote:

I have no idea what the UK CAA will do, but judging that AustroControl has set up a test centre in the UK due to popular demand, and by the thousands of pilots with UK issued licenses converting, I’d think about doing the same as long as you can.

You will then have an EASA license, and the UK already agreed to validate those in a no deal brexit scenario IIRC.

I presume what you are saying is, I keep my EASA license and get a UK CAA one? If there’s ever a need to fly a D REG or an F REG? I only have a need to fly G-REG at current.

DavidC wrote:

I’m surprised that you would need to do any additional PBN theory exam. Didn’t your CBIR exams already have PBN embedded?

The UK CAA have said they would recognise EASA exams taken elsewhere until December 2022.
Perhaps those taken through the UK CAA before end 2020 might be accepted elsewhere but as it stands not those taken from next year. This is why many UK theory ATOs have made arrangements to run exams from Austria-Control or Irish CAA.

You’ll be fine continuing in the UK, will be issued with a CBIR on your UK Part-FCL licence, and can use it worldwide on G-reg aircraft. Training syllabus and skill test unchanged.

The ECQB 2016 does not contain PBN in the EIR theory. The TK Syllabus Comparison Document is the reference point. 062.07.00.00 is only in ECQB2020 for the EIR. Oysterair do a PBN theory course and online exam – https://www.oysterair.com/onlineaviationcourses

I thought it was, but my theory is only valid for Non-CLASS A airspace unless I get the PBN theory out of the way. Simple life huh? My understanding is I’ll be issued with an IR with no HPA.

.arj1 wrote:

If you’ve got your CB IR/EIR theory at a UK ATO, then you can continue with the practical & skills test in the UK, AFAIK.
But it will be valid worldwide on a G-reg a/c only (and N-reg in the UK, I think) from 1-Jan-2021.

I need to get my IR application signed off by that ATO I think where theory is concerned. They are going completely EASA only from Dec 31st and I hope not to get stung.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I need to get my IR application signed off by that ATO I think where theory is concerned. They are going completely EASA only from Dec 31st and I hope not to get stung.

Who has issued your license?
And where your ATO was registered?

EGTR

T28 wrote:

The point is that the UK-issued “EASA PPL” will not be an EASA PPL anymore as of January 1st, and there is no guarantee that it will be accepted on EASA non G-reg aircraft.

Thank you ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

pilotrobbie wrote:

I presume what you are saying is, I keep my EASA license and get a UK CAA one? If there’s ever a need to fly a D REG or an F REG? I only have a need to fly G-REG at current.

You now have a UK CAA issued easa license. You can transfer your state of license issue to any other easa authority (e.g. germany, austria etc..romania etc..).

You would then, even after 31DEC20, keep an EASA license. UK CAA has communicated that they will allow EASA license bearers to fly G-reg airplanes.

However, subject to hard brexit, the EU cannot legally guarantee UK national license holders that they will be able to fly on EASA registered airplanes. pilotrobbie wrote:

The ECQB 2016 does not contain PBN in the EIR theory. The TK Syllabus Comparison Document is the reference point. 062.07.00.00 is only in ECQB2020 for the EIR. Oysterair do a PBN theory course and online exam – https://www.oysterair.com/onlineaviationcourses

Sounds like complete bollocks. You do your CB-IR theory and practical training including PBN from the start. Why do it separately?

pilotrobbie wrote:

If they are a UK ATO they will need a Third Country approval after 31DEC20 to be EASA approved.

By the way, you can do the CB-IR theory at one ATO, they must issue you a theory course completion certificate (as you have already passed the exams, this is obsolete). You can then do the practical training at another ATO, anywhere in europe, where again you will be issued a course completion certificate.You can then take the practical exam with any examiner anywhere in EASA territory. Unless, after 31DEC20, you suddenly only have a national UK license, then this option is lost.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 17 Nov 00:33
always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

My query was really whether the CBIR itself will have a G-reg limitation on it. I can’t see that; there is nowhere to enter that on the license paperwork itself.

CB-IR is terminology for a “course” only, it is not a rating. If anything will be limited, it will be “IR”, as that’s what @pilotrobbie will see featured in his license, after finishing the CB-IR course.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

If anything will be limited, it will be “IR”, as that’s what @pilotrobbie will see featured in his license, after finishing the CB-IR course.

Apparently some EASA countries do write “CBIR” on the license.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Apparently some EASA countries do write “CBIR” on the license.

Recently, or old news? The CBIR rating does not exist. It is only IR.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message