Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

That’s a useful site which I am sure will interest many. Detail is good; the internet is full of bland stuff.

My main “minus” comment is that most people don’t have the time to watch videos. So videos need to be extremely well produced to get any audience, and that takes a lot of work and skill.

This bit is hilarious:

The enroute paper charts have been completely useless for about 20 years – except as sunscreens. It shows just how divorced from reality the whole EASA IR establishment is. Anybody who flies anything other than a kite, or a quadcopter, could not teach this stuff with a straight face. And that’s exactly the problem, from what I saw in one well known FTO.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Anybody who flies anything other than a kite, or a quadcopter, could not teach this stuff with a straight face. And that’s exactly the problem, from what I saw in one well known FTO.

Who teaches this (paper charts from 2017)?

Edit: Nevermind, that’s the Student Pilot Route Manual. Does it still say „made from high quality plastic“?

@pilotrobbie

Nice website, enjoy reading your articles

Last Edited by Snoopy at 13 Sep 04:45
always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

That’s a useful site which I am sure will interest many. Detail is good; the internet is full of bland stuff.

My main “minus” comment is that most people don’t have the time to watch videos. So videos need to be extremely well produced to get any audience, and that takes a lot of work and skill.

This bit is hilarious:

Thanks for reading Peter. I do plan on making a PDF version, hope you’ll be happy to upload it onto the website? I just want to go over the blog with a fine-tooth comb first. I just hope it inspires people to do what I’ve just done. Financially it probably can be extremely difficult, and it requires a heck of a lot of focus.

I took a PPL with IMC(R) flying last week and I think it went above his head when I departed into London TMA. It was so busy, and he commented on how much more thorough the checks are. Didn’t get a chance to breathe there was that much going on. So it’s not for the faint-hearted, but what a difference filling a flight plan and getting above it all makes.

The videos are really a work in progress. My whole plan with them is to showcase what you can do with a PPL IR in Europe & beyond. They aren’t perfect yet, but I am in the process of making them better, and more watchable. Take a look at what Matt Guthmiller, Steveo1Kinevo, and Premier1 do with their videos, as I hope to recreate that but for Europe.

Peter wrote:

The enroute paper charts have been completely useless for about 20 years – except as sunscreens. It shows just how divorced from reality the whole EASA IR establishment is. Anybody who flies anything other than a kite, or a quadcopter, could not teach this stuff with a straight face. And that’s exactly the problem, from what I saw in one well known FTO.

You use these a lot in the Flight Planning & Monitoring Exam. The CAA do have their own copies if you forget, but I wouldn’t recommend doing that. All the answers for that exam are in this book.

Snoopy wrote:

Who teaches this (paper charts from 2017)?

Edit: Nevermind, that’s the Student Pilot Route Manual. Does it still say „made from high-quality plastic“?

@pilotrobbie

Nice website, enjoy reading your articles

Thanks for reading, it’ll be an addition now before every vlog/trip that I complete. So if people don’t fancy watching the videos, they can read the event. Then maybe watch….

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

I do plan on making a PDF version, hope you’ll be happy to upload it onto the website?

Yes of course. It’s not a trivial process (because I always forget how to do it ) but it would be worth it.

Administrator

@pilotrobbie, few theory questions if you don’t mind:
1. How do you book your questions in the system? Just 3-4 exams for the same slot (say 09:00 at Gatwick)?
2. Do you have to do the class revision BEFORE the exams, or you could you do it after (so that you can get your theory certificate)?

Thanks!

EGTR

Peter wrote:

Yes of course. It’s not a trivial process (because I always forget how to do it ) but it would be worth it.

Brilliant, I’ll send you an email hopefully by the weekend.

arj1 wrote:

@pilotrobbie, few theory questions if you don’t mind:
1. How do you book your questions in the system? Just 3-4 exams for the same slot (say 09:00 at Gatwick)?
2. Do you have to do the class revision BEFORE the exams, or you could you do it after (so that you can get your theory certificate)?

Thanks!

It’s one examination per slot. You can’t book 4 exams per slot. I would not take anymore than 2 per day, you really are asking for trouble and I think there’s only a AM an PM slot. I had to do the class revision before the exams, as you need to be signed off by the ATO before you can proceed to take the FCL exams.

EGSG, United Kingdom

as you need to be signed off by the ATO before you can proceed to take the FCL exams.

That’s what I had in 2011/2012 and had to spend about 1k on ring binders with a load of WW2 dross before they would sign me off as ready for the exams. And they wanted good marks in some homework exercises, but they made a mistake and signed me off before I handed them in (with bad marks) but it was too late I sold the ring binders on Ebay the day after the last exam.

Administrator

It seems the exam slots are different here. I did 4 in one day and 3 a couple of weeks later IIRC.
The exam people were very well organised and friendly and you got told whether had passed or not when you left the hall.
For both the IR and year later the CBIR I had to attend a classroom. It was much longer for the IR than the CBIR. I think for rhe CBIR IIRC it was a few days.
The rest was distance learning and when you thought you were ready in a subject, you did a homework, Q and A. It was not something tou could easily cheat. When the instructors felt you were ready they sent a note to the DGAC and told you you were ready to book the exam.
All quite straightforward if you had taken the time to study tje subject, but I will admit there were certain things I struggled with. Others found those subjects easy but some of the things I found easy, they struggled with.
So I think it does depend on your mindset.
I could never see the point of alpha this beta that and delta which crops up all the time on this forum and rarely relating to the same thing. Ancient Greek became quasi extinct before Latin but we continue to use the Greek for anything to do with maths and Latin for everything to do with medecine. Crazy when you try to learn these things having left school many years prior.🙂

France

gallois wrote:

It seems the exam slots are different here. I did 4 in one day and 3 a couple of weeks later IIRC.
The exam people were very well organised and friendly and you got told whether had passed or not when you left the hall.
For both the IR and year later the CBIR I had to attend a classroom. It was much longer for the IR than the CBIR. I think for rhe CBIR IIRC it was a few days.

I did all 8 in 1 day, passed 7 and failed 1. Then failed that one again and passed it the final time… similar class room time with Mermoz which was an utter waste of time…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Thanks to all those who followed the journey.

Here’s the write up of the first journey; https://www.theflyingvlog.uk/planning-the-first-ifr/

And the first video;

EGSG, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message