Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

However, the CB IR is the full IR – for a private pilot.

If you want the CPL/IR (which in Euroland becomes an ATPL once you have logged 500hrs in a multi pilot cockpit) then you have to do the full 14 exams… and of course the CPL also.

A (very) few people have done the original “JAA PPL IR” 7-exam set, recently. I am not sure whether it was due to a lack of choice or whether they wanted the small credit towards HPA which that exam set gives you.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

True enough. It’s the only show in town in Ireland though. I can’t imagine there are more than a handful of ‘just IR’ candidates here each year.

EIMH, Ireland

So in light of the above, if the CB IR has only 40% of the theory requirement of the ‘full’ , what learning objectives have been stripped out? Maybe I’ll trawl the legislation tomorrow.

EIMH, Ireland

I just talked to a lady of a reputable IR school from western France. She is no instructor but claims to have her own CB IR. She assures me ( several times by mail and phone) that a CB IR is normally 50 hrs of training, that can be reduced to 40 if :
- you have those 10 hours of dual IFR already
- the FTO agrees to reduce the program after an initial sim check.

Needless to say, I am not sure to call them back :)

LFOU, France

Similar experience with me. I contacted a place in NW France last week and they told me that they view CBIR only as a route to an EASA IR for people with instrument flying experience, not as a quicker way to an IR for an ab-initio instrument pilot. I asked if I could show up there with 30 hours of training with an IRI in my logbook and do the final 10 with them and they said no.

EIMH, Ireland

Probably the same school :)
Let’s try other and report. I hope DGAC hasn’t changed their mind and told all schools to do so.

LFOU, France

I did 30 hours of IR training on my own plane with Henk Ooink at air-stadtlohn. The 10 hours ATO part I did at Teuge with SAS, they where more than happy to train me for the last ten hours. I ended up flying a bit more hours tho. I trained on one of their C172’s. Vliegclub Rotterdam (ATO) was even willing to train me on my own plane, but I opted for Teuge, because it’s closer to home. Not all schools were so accomodating, but it helps to call a few.

EHTE, Netherlands

I encountered the same attitudes when I contacted a reputable school in Toussus in 2015 after finishing my CBIR theory. I ended up doing my IR with Aero Poznan, and would recommend them if your plan is to fly a Cirrus or similarly equipped glass cockpit afterwards.

I am thinking about getting my IR-ticket in the near future.

While I do have a fair amount of experience flying XC around Central and Southern Europe I only have very few XC-hours in non-microlights. I just love the economics of going 130 KIAS all day long on 18 liters of mogas and thus far couldn’t justify the increased costs for something like a C182 without any (to me) VFR-benefits. It all becomes more appealing when you put IFR into the equation.

So I started researching the requirements to start training and found this:
FCL.610 IR — Prerequisites and crediting
Applicants for an IR shall: (a) hold:
(1) at least a PPL in the appropriate aircraft category, and:
(i) the privileges to fly at night in accordance with FCL.810, if the IR privileges will be used at night; or
(ii) an ATPL in another category of aircraft; or (2) a CPL, in the appropriate aircraft category;
(b) have completed at least 50 hours of cross-country flight time as PIC in aeroplanes, TMGs, helicopters or airships, of which at least 10 or, in the case of airships, 20 hours shall be in the relevant aircraft category

Thus far I only have about 15 hours of XC in non-microlights (in VFR just to slow and/or expensive in terms of “bang for buck”). In FCL.610 it says “aeroplanes” and FCL.010 says the following:
“Aeroplane” means an engine-driven fixed-wing aircraft heavier than air which is supported in flight by the dynamic reaction of the air against its wings.
“Aircraft” means any machine which can derive support in the atmosphere from the reactions of the air other than the reactions of the air against the earth’s surface

I was under the impression that microlights were no aircraft when it comes to EASA, but this definition would include them.

Anyone got information about the actual requirements before starting the process with a regular EASA-PPL(A) and NVFR and most hours on microlights?

Austria

“Aeroplanes” excludes “Sailplanes” and “Microlights” but include “TMGs”,“SEP”, “MEP”…as far as EASA is concerned there are no microlights around

My impression, those hours will count for EASA licencing if your microlight/aircraft have/has an EASA Full Type Certificate, someone is probably able to confirm?
Things like SportCruiser and Virus Sw 121 are both SEP and Micro/SSDR in EASA-land, so for sure you can count their hours for an IR, you can even do your UK IMC/IRR rating training on them (of course training: under the hood, VFR day only and outside IMC)

Also, the CAA may count those hours if the aircraft is listed by them as falling within aeroplane classes (e.g. TMG, MEP or SEP), so check on UK GINFO website what it says about your aircraft or similar G-regs if it is SSDR, Micorlights or N/A then they probably will not count,

Good luck, as far as what is inside I always find piston engines

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Nov 21:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message