Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

I did the CB IR (Practical with Rate One), finished over a month ago (yet the CAA still haven’t sent me the paper letting me use it!).

I had to take a total of 4 days off I believe (working full time, so normally only weekends available)
2 each for the theory (taking the exams at Gatwick)
2 each for practical (well, one of them ended up being a bank holiday but that was luck – I’ll count as day off)

It took me about 20h of instruction. (I also combined with my IMC renewal, and due to work / doing the theory had to take a 2.5 month gap between the first few sessions and the 2 last extended weekends).

With the CB IR for the theory you only need to do 8 hours in classroom so I picked a provider that would do that class over a weekend. I did spend a lot of time self studying (probably the 80h stated).

The only time I crossed ATPL crowd was at the CAA when taking the exams.

Start mine in July (multi engine) I have allocated three weeks of work for it (leave between roles).

Now retired from forums best wishes

Enrolled for the TK a couple or weeks ago, need to get stuck into the reading! I was thinking Jim at RateOne aviation as he seems to be the oracle on the CBIR. I would be interested to know anyone’s experience…

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Passed TK. Started training with Jim at RateOne.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

My criteria was:

ATO that knows the test standards / test profile / good pass rates

Home based IAPs

Decent aircraft with EFIS and more than one machine available

Was interested / helpful / replied to emails etc (that ruled out several straight away sadly…)

Commuting drive from home

The feeling I get, and based on what I hear from some in the business including one ATO nearby, is that the numbers doing the CB IR are no bigger than the historical figures for the JAA IR.

And the JAA IR, c. 1999, pretty well killed off the “private IR” by killing the 700hr route and enforcing the full 50/55hrs of training on everybody regardless of experience.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know 3 wannabes that are doing the CBIR. And one who is doing it the traditional way.

As someone who teaches a fair few wannabes I can’t see why any of them would do it any other way.

Why “traditional way”?

Do you mean somebody is still running the old JAA IR 7 exams and the 50/55hr IR training course?

Setting aside the reality that almost every truly ab initio (truly zero prior experience) IR student will need 40-50hrs to pass the IRT anyway, there is no point in doing the old 50/55hr route. The resulting IR is the same. Especially for a private pilot who is likely to have prior (unlogged, perhaps) instrument time.

Of course if you want the ATPL eventually then you must do the 14 ATPL exams, not the 7 JAA IR exams because (except for HP&L, IIRC) none of them correspond to the 14 ATPL ones so there is no credit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very few places are actually offering the new CBM IR and most IRs are the existing system. The vast majority of IRs issued outside of the integrated schools are modular ATPL students. This could now be done by getting an IR(R) post PPL and building sufficient IFR hours to take the CBM IR route, but most students are sticking with PPL, hour build, CPL then ME-IR; mainly because it’s a tried and tested route and airlines that take modular students pretty much expect this.

I think the numbers of CBM IRs will remain very low and limited to high end private pilots and some IMC qualified instructors moving up.

CBIR versus IR

Dear all,

I guess this has already been discussed in the forum, but I did not find any recent thread.
Here’s my question:

Following your precious advice a few months ago, I got the NVFR rating in a club on Marseille airport. This was good fun but, above all, the first step towards an instrument rating.
So I’m now looking at getting the IR theoretical exams. My plan is to start with the common EIR / CBIR exam. I will then do the 15 flight hours required to get an EIR in a local flight school. The additional 25 hours for a full CB IR will come as (hopefully) my budget increases in the future.

I looked at various websites, including this one (in French). I am now confused by the difference between CB-IR et “normal” IR:

• Same pre-requesites
  • Same privileges
  • Same training in flight (40 hours)
  • BUT a longer and more complex theoretical part for the “normal” IR.

Question: why would anybody elect to perform the “normal” IR if it gives the same privileges as a the CB IR, but with a more complex and more expensive theoretical training?

Thanks!

Regards

Last Edited by Alboule at 30 Jul 13:03
LFNR
Sign in to add your message