Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

Peter wrote:

However, I can’t find where Appendix 6 A is.

Is that the old JAA IR 7-exam course, 50/55hrs ab initio or 15hrs if doing the conversion route?

Appendix 6 is in Part-FCL/CAP804 (see here Section 4, part L, page 33)

6A refers to the ‘traditional’ IR requiring 150hrs of theory. As far as I know, this route is still open as is the conversion route of doing the 150hrs TK and then 15hrs training from an ICAO IR. So anyone who has done 150hrs of IR theory needs to only do the ‘VFR’ part of the HPA exams.

In practice, I’m not sure any of the HPA providers (CATS?) differentiate and everyone ends up taking the full course. I would guess the majority of people taking the HPA from now on will have gained their IR via the CB-IR (be it initial or ICAO conversion) route anyway.

EGBB

Peter wrote:

OK, but what is it?

Appendix 6 is the regs for modular IR courses – number of hours, course contents, that sort of thing. 6A covers the old-style IR (for aeroplanes), 6Aa covers the CB IR,

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

CB-IR questions database

Hi, i am studying for the CB-IR exams and in my search for online question databases i stumbled upon this great website.
I am just about to finish the last of the first 4 topics, and i would like to practise exam questions to see what i missed and have to brush up on.

Reading several articles here it seems that Peters Software and Aviation Exams have pretty good databases.
I am looking for a database with relevant CB-IR questions, or at least a filter i can apply.

Do both of the mentioned databases have that option?
And any other databases you guys recommend?

How about http://www.bgsonline.eu/. Does anyone know if they have a filter available? And how good this database is?

Last Edited by MarcelK at 04 Aug 06:32

I used both Peters and Aviationexam, but cannot recommend either. ;( Both have a filter for what these providers call “CBIR”, but it seems they still have a lot of irrelevant stuff in their question banks. In the end, I only used Aviationexam, but I feel that by learning all the stuff, I studied too much in relation to what was in the real exam in the end. I didn’t continue with Peters mainly because their iPad app sucks, and that was what I had bought.

Thanks for your comment.
I’ve subscribed to AviationExam, in addition to ATPdigital (Bristol Groundschool) which i already used for training.

Last Edited by MarcelK at 10 Aug 05:47

I used bgsonline.eu which was supplied for free by Orbit. It was quite accurate.

BGSonline is a great database, however, they do not provide an CB-IR filter on the questions.

@Neil, have they removed the “CB” remark?

@Peter, this is exactly what I wrote about here, in this section, I think almost a year ago. The issue is that HPA theory has a IFR and a VFR part. The IFR part was kept within the IR and the VFR was separated into HPA course (instead of being part of CPL, for example). And when they created EIR/ CB-IR syllabus, they chucked the rest of HPA related theory. Maybe they removed a bit more, I’m not really interested in going through it. And moved this IFR HPA into the HPA course, as it perhaps should have been in the first place.

This creates some interesting possibilities. If you have the “old” HPA and CB-IR, you are missing the IFR HPA theory and the solution AFAIK is doing the HPA again (not sure about crediting). Or you could, of course, do ATPL theory. And if you have “full” IR theory and want to do the “new” HPA, you should get credit for the IFR part.

Another limitation of the EIR/ CB-IR theory is that you can’t get full credit for IR theory when you want IR in another category like you can with “full” IR theory. You need HPA course for that.

I’m writing this from memory, so I could be a bit off.

Since you can’t find it, i’ll give you some links:

• Explanatory note This is the document I referenced previously. If you want to skip, then go to page 6. This is the explanatory note to the amendment that introduced EIR and CB-IR into the Part-FCL AMC/ GM.
  • 1178/2011 Here you can find the Appendix 6. The prerequisites for single-pilot high performance non-complex aircraft are in FCL.720.A(b) on page 50. The course mentioned in (2)(i) is the HPA course. FCL.035(b)(5) on page 23 relates to the issue of crediting IR theory in another category of aircraft.
  • Part-FCL AMC/ GM This is the document that was ammended by the one Roger referenced. I’m not aware of a consolidated version.

PS: I found a bug. The second link should read “1178/2011 (with all amendments)” and it does here in the editor so it’s not lost, it’s just not displayed.

Last Edited by Martin at 07 Oct 20:52

It would be funny if the “CB” remark got removed after you got the HPA

Thanks for reporting that bug, @Martin – it is one of those connected with auto-creation of clickable links.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter I wouldn’t be surprised (if indeed new-HPA + CB-IR = old-HPA + IR, as far as theory goes). They will definitely want to track who has the shorter CB theory and who has the “full” IR theory.

It would be interesting to know if you can still do VFR only HPA. The old arrangement allowed you to do this and fly something like a PC-7 MkII. It’s interesting that the “MkI” or turboprop PC-6 are not considered HPA while the Meridian is.

Last Edited by Martin at 13 Oct 11:29
Sign in to add your message