Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

When I added the CE525 Type Rating (and Instrument Rating for the type) they did not remove the CB remark.
I will be there again soon as I have recently done a King Air course at Flight Safety, so I need to get that TR and associated IR added. I will ask again but I suspect I will get the same blank look.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Hi All
Recently got the CB IR and just (today) received the licence back – IR SP SE – is what it says , no mention of CB ?!

Thanks for the inspiration provided by a lot of you guys. Can’t say it’s been easy , it’s a big jump up for the average IR R pilot like me . Lots of good advice here and I’m sure I’ll be asking a few questions going forward – as they say ! Signed up to Autorouter and meeting up with a regular IFR flyer/instructor v soon to get the lowdown on real life IFR around Europe.

Congratulations!

Did you convert a 3rd country IR? I get the sense that it is what you did otherwise you would already be familiar with EU IFR.

Where in the world are you from, and in what country did you get your EASA IR?

LFPT, LFPN

Hi – thanks !
No , UK based , just “upgraded” my IMCR/IR R to IR.
Lots of VFR (sometimes v marginal !) flying around Europe under my belt.
Got an old Comanche PA 24 with basic kit , 430, HSI etc and basic autopilot so not sure how it will work out in this new world. Any advice gratefully received !

Wekcome Mark and congrats on the full IR. Most countries (rightly) don’t put the CB reamrk into the license.

How many flight hours of instruction did it take you? Did you do all training at an ATO, or some of it outside an ATO?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks Bosco
So, I had enough IR R time both instruction/enroute for theoretical minimum of 10 at an ATO however,
…it took 11 hours in the Sim and about another 25 in my plane to get to standard. It was a bit stop start around work/life commitments , my old plane probably made it a bit more difficult and at 53 , let’s just say I dont think being older is an advantage ! About 6 months for the TK and 5 for the flying . Don’t ask the cost ! Was it worth it ? I think you need to believe it is for the experience , knowledge gained and achievement alone , but as said I do get around a bit so will definitely use it .

Congrats, MarkH

You will find Eurocontrol IFR a whole new world compared to the Class G IMC hacking one does on the IMC-R. Controlled airspace becomes irrelevant (while you are IFR, and until you get dropped out of CAS at the UK end ) and the flight becomes largely a game of aircraft capability versus weather, getting shortcuts, etc.

It’s interesting how you did it. I don’t think many people have followed this route as yet.

I was 49 when I did the FAA IR in 2006 so I know what you mean

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter and for the inspiration provided by your trip reports which show what is possible for the private pilot to achieve.
Another CB IR pass at PAT Bournemouth yesterday so they are trickling through but it’s still a big ask in terms of time/money/commitment for the average pilot. The TK , though quite interesting, is still not really fit for purpose , a single exam covering all the key stuff would be better.

A big well done MarkH, I completed mine a couple of months ago with Rate One in Gloucester. I’ve a couple of IFR Trips now, one to Dinard and the other to La Rochelle. The IR certainly make travelling a lot easier. I’ve been using a Turbo Arrow4 which only has a basic autopilot (no altitude hold) and its been fine to fly it trimmed and maintain altitude within the limits.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Thanks Rob – congratulations to you too !
I am hoping to fly IFR to La Rochelle next month (been there lots of times VFR) , “seems” relatively straightforward on Autorouter , any tips gratefully received !
Yes altitude hold would be nice , as would more power, O2 etc – but plenty seem to do quite a lot with less, which is encouraging.

Sign in to add your message