Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

In any half OK wx, La Rochelle is a really nice destination. That latitude is about where the wx starts to really improve over the UK’s, and the city is 10/10 scenic.

Search the forum for La Rochelle (we had a fly-in there in 2013) and you will find tips but basically it’s trivial. The airport is easy. It has an airside kiosk where you pay, and a dedicated GA gate where you pick up a code which works for 2 days so you can get back in without going via the Ryanair queue. Parking is on grass (unless, IIRC, you deal with Handling and probably pay some more €€€) but the grass is OK (for my TB20, anyway), with care.

I would be very happy to do a meet-up there, anytime, but would need clear wx because I am trying to clear-out my engine so need to fly at reasonable power (FL100 or less).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Don’t expect to fly the waypoints that autorouter gives you to La Rochelle. It’s seems whatever you file London wants you to exit UK airspace via ORTAC and Jersey zone. Which has happened to me twice now. Routed to ORTAC JSY DIN. But the did get direct NTS which was a 105NM direct.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Maybe via ORTAC if you are leaving the UK that far west, otherwise you can cross near the middle. See here for example.

Administrator

Congrats and well done MarkH.
How long time did it take from checkride pass to getting the papers back?

Last Edited by pmh at 16 Oct 19:14
pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Peter

We’re looking at 6/7/8 Nov or if weather no good following weekend, going with a couple of other PPL’s .
Great if you /others want to meet up ?!
Pmh – thanks , it’s taken 2-3 weeks , but, I forgot to pay the test fee in all the excitement on the day (£785 !) which delayed things . Apparently there is a part time lady ( err you know what I mean ) who does the CB IR paperwork. No complaints , but that bit of paper doesn’t look much for all that effort !
Rob – thanks , one thing I’ve learnt , don’t expect to fly what you’ve planned.

Do you realise 7th Nov is the national bonfire night? I can’t make that one.

BTW, suggested fly-ins / meet-ups are best posted in the Trips/Airports section, otherwise they just get lost.

Administrator

Maybe via ORTAC if you are leaving the UK that far west, otherwise you can cross near the middle. See here for example.

Peter.

On both outbound and inbound, my route was NEDUL BOLRO. On my return from KacRochelle, the French control told me that the UK would not accept my entry via BOLRO and gave me a radar heading into Jefsey zone. When passed to Jersey, the controller apologised for the slight detour saying he wanted me on controlled airspace.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Which UK airport is this to/from, and what altitude?

Administrator

This was the filed route from LFBH to EGBT

Filed route: N0150F100 TIRAV A25 NTS R14 REN V20 KOKOS DCT UVSUV DCT BOLRO DCT NEDUL Q41 NORRY

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

At FL100, to stay in CAS, there aren’t many options, so you probably get a route via ORTAC. Otherwise, the base of CAS on that route is FL105. A FL110+ it should have been OK.

The basic issue is that Turweston EGBT is OCAS and any route to the south is in the way of Heathrow and Gatwick traffic, so there is no way to fly to/from it fully Eurocontrol IFR at certain altitudes. There has to be some “hack”. London Control normally find a way. There are some LTMA crossings at FL090/100 so you will get one of those.

This is the route I normally use to go to/from France from Shoreham, by setting DVL as a fly-through waypoint

LFBH N0152F100 LUSON3E LUSON A53 ANG DCT OTLOV DCT PEPAL/N0150F080 DCT ATGAL DCT XASUD DCT DEMOM DCT NEVIL/N0152F100 DCT GWC Y8 SAM Q41 TABEN EGBT

But Shoreham is on the edge of the UK so a much simpler case.

Going into the UK, it’s clear to all that you have to descend fairly soon so they might start at the coast.

With ATC you normally want to present them with a fait accompli so the options in front of them are obvious.

The other complication are D036-D040 so you have to route to the west or to the east of these.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message