Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

For me probably going from Lee on Solent , my winter base, Autorouter showing several options eg as below. I assume the STAR would in reality turn into a radar vectored ILS ?

N0130F090 PILIP DCT DIKRO DCT TUPUX DCT BULOX DCT ARDOD DCT RALIX/N0124F040 DCT RL LUSON3D

Many thanks !

Make sure you have the UK SRD box checked.

Yes, La Rochelle (or somebody) will probably vector you to the ILS.

From Lee on Solent you are better off routing via ORTAC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

CB IR – Crediting of experience

I recently noticed the wording concerning crediting of flight experience for CB IR. I don’t remember seeing this discussed, but maybe my memory doesn’t serve me well in this.

Appendix 6 of No 1178/2011

Aa.6.(a)(i) When the applicant has:

(A) completed instrument flight instruction provided by an IRI(A) or an FI holding the privilege to provide training for the IR; or

(B) prior experience of instrument flight time as PIC on aeroplanes, under a rating providing the privileges to fly under IFR and in IMC,

these hours may be credited towards the 40 hours above up to maximum of 30 hours,
Aa.6.(b)(i) When the applicant has:

(A) completed instrument flight instruction provided by an IRI(A) or an FI holding the privilege to provide training for the IR; or

(B) prior experience of instrument flight time as PIC on aeroplanes, under a rating giving the privileges to fly under IFR and in IMC,

these hours may be credited towards the 45 hours above up to a maximum of 35 hours.

Notice in both (B)s “instrument flight time”. That is not the same as flight time under IFR, also used. As a reminder (from the same regulation):

‘Flight time under Instrument Flight Rules’ (IFR) means all flight time during which the aircraft is being operated under the Instrument Flight Rules.

‘Instrument flight time’ means the time during which a pilot is controlling an aircraft in flight solely by reference to instruments.

Not everyone is tracking the IFT. IIRC the magic number often given as a guide is ten percent. That is, your IFT should be about ten percent of your IFR time. It usually tends to be even less than that. Especially when you tend to do longer trips as we tend to avoid IMC, not sit in it.

Do I remember the discussions wrong? Or am I missing something in the regulation? Is this actually how NAAs interpret it? I for one was a bit surprised. This is an interesting contrast to Aa.8.(c) requiring only 50 hours of IFR time for foreign IR holders.

[ formatting adjusted ]

Last Edited by Martin at 09 Nov 10:01

You are right but it’s not usually an issue because people will have 15-20 hours dual instruction from say a IMC rating so you would only need 10 hours before you get the 30 hours anyway. Most people get the credit based on past instruction rather than the PIC bit I think (and a cynic might say it will get done by Parker pen hours if not anyway!)

Now retired from forums best wishes

Of course, there are still the (A)s (and also Aa.6.(a)(ii) and Aa.6.(b)(ii) I haven’t quoted) and dual instruction counts. But I faintly remember discussions about getting EIR, flying a bit IFR and then going for the IR. Which to me reads like trying to get additional credit for experience. If someone were to go for the full credit, we’re probably talking about more than a hundred hours, flying the ordinary way (that is no unnecessary sitting in the soup). Of course, if you want that credit quick, you can just go sit in it.

Anyway, what’s EASA’s position on simulated instrument conditions outside of instruction? That is, can you log PIC time while you’re “under a hood” while in VMC (meaning, you have a safety pilot on board)? I don’t think so, but I’m not sure.

Most people get the credit based on past instruction rather than the PIC bit I think (and a cynic might say it will get done by Parker pen hours if not anyway!)

I am sure it happens, since nobody can check your enroute instrument time. But you do have to be able to retrospectively show that you were license-entitled to log that time so e.g. if you have an IMCR and you logged 45 mins instrument time on LFAT-LFBZ…

This also means FAA IR holders without an IMCR will in theory be no longer able to log this time after April 2016.

Anyway, what’s EASA’s position on simulated instrument conditions outside of instruction? That is, can you log PIC time while you’re “under a hood” while in VMC (meaning, you have a safety pilot on board)? I don’t think so, but I’m not sure.

Never been specified AFAIK. I don’t think an EASA pilot can log instrument time in VMC under a hood, with a safety pilot who is not an FI with instrument privileges. @Bookworm will know all this…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I don’t think an EASA pilot can log instrument time in VMC under a hood, with a safety pilot who is not an FI with instrument privileges.

I don’t think logging instrument time is the issue (logbook in the relevant AMC doesn’t even have a column for it, only IFR time, IIRC) as you are flying on instruments. But I don’t think you can be in command. Which makes those hours useless from crediting perspective. And unless the other pilot is appropriately licensed instructor giving instruction, we’d be talking about co-pilot time in single-pilot operations. So the question would be, whether you can log anything at all (well, you can, as long as you did what you logged, but it might be completely useless).

CB IR license received.

I have a naive idea that my comment to the rule making process to allow IFR flight for color-blind people had an effect.
After the new rules made it possible I had to get it done.
I trained with Caledonian Advanced Pilot Training and Rate One Aviation.
Roy and Jim at Rateone did a tremendous job getting my trough the training in short time with a first time pass.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

CONGRATULATIONS!

Administrator

Congratulations.

I also just received my IR-ME today! With the CB-IR annotation, of course.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message