Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR vs IR

Peter

We’re looking at 6/7/8 Nov or if weather no good following weekend, going with a couple of other PPL’s .
Great if you /others want to meet up ?!
Pmh – thanks , it’s taken 2-3 weeks , but, I forgot to pay the test fee in all the excitement on the day (£785 !) which delayed things . Apparently there is a part time lady ( err you know what I mean ) who does the CB IR paperwork. No complaints , but that bit of paper doesn’t look much for all that effort !
Rob – thanks , one thing I’ve learnt , don’t expect to fly what you’ve planned.

Do you realise 7th Nov is the national bonfire night? I can’t make that one.

BTW, suggested fly-ins / meet-ups are best posted in the Trips/Airports section, otherwise they just get lost.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maybe via ORTAC if you are leaving the UK that far west, otherwise you can cross near the middle. See here for example.

Peter.

On both outbound and inbound, my route was NEDUL BOLRO. On my return from KacRochelle, the French control told me that the UK would not accept my entry via BOLRO and gave me a radar heading into Jefsey zone. When passed to Jersey, the controller apologised for the slight detour saying he wanted me on controlled airspace.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Which UK airport is this to/from, and what altitude?

Administrator

This was the filed route from LFBH to EGBT

Filed route: N0150F100 TIRAV A25 NTS R14 REN V20 KOKOS DCT UVSUV DCT BOLRO DCT NEDUL Q41 NORRY

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

At FL100, to stay in CAS, there aren’t many options, so you probably get a route via ORTAC. Otherwise, the base of CAS on that route is FL105. A FL110+ it should have been OK.

The basic issue is that Turweston EGBT is OCAS and any route to the south is in the way of Heathrow and Gatwick traffic, so there is no way to fly to/from it fully Eurocontrol IFR at certain altitudes. There has to be some “hack”. London Control normally find a way. There are some LTMA crossings at FL090/100 so you will get one of those.

This is the route I normally use to go to/from France from Shoreham, by setting DVL as a fly-through waypoint

LFBH N0152F100 LUSON3E LUSON A53 ANG DCT OTLOV DCT PEPAL/N0150F080 DCT ATGAL DCT XASUD DCT DEMOM DCT NEVIL/N0152F100 DCT GWC Y8 SAM Q41 TABEN EGBT

But Shoreham is on the edge of the UK so a much simpler case.

Going into the UK, it’s clear to all that you have to descend fairly soon so they might start at the coast.

With ATC you normally want to present them with a fait accompli so the options in front of them are obvious.

The other complication are D036-D040 so you have to route to the west or to the east of these.

Administrator

For me probably going from Lee on Solent , my winter base, Autorouter showing several options eg as below. I assume the STAR would in reality turn into a radar vectored ILS ?

N0130F090 PILIP DCT DIKRO DCT TUPUX DCT BULOX DCT ARDOD DCT RALIX/N0124F040 DCT RL LUSON3D

Many thanks !

Make sure you have the UK SRD box checked.

Yes, La Rochelle (or somebody) will probably vector you to the ILS.

From Lee on Solent you are better off routing via ORTAC.

Administrator

I just talked to a lady of a reputable IR school from western France. She is no instructor but claims to have her own CB IR. She assures me ( several times by mail and phone) that a CB IR is normally 50 hrs of training, that can be reduced to 40 if :
- you have those 10 hours of dual IFR already
- the FTO agrees to reduce the program after an initial sim check.

Needless to say, I am not sure to call them back :)

Similar experience with me. I contacted a place in NW France last week and they told me that they view CBIR only as a route to an EASA IR for people with instrument flying experience, not as a quicker way to an IR for an ab-initio instrument pilot. I asked if I could show up there with 30 hours of training with an IRI in my logbook and do the final 10 with them and they said no.

EIWT, Ireland
Sign in to add your message