Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

On a side note: We have just started the CB-IR with 13 pilots in the theory class. Most of them wish to use their own aircraft for training, and about half of them are not maintained to commercial standards, which (in this country, at least) means they are not approved for IR training within an ATO, or for the skill test.
Our arrangement is that all IR flight instructors are approved by the ATO, but free-lance. Training on a non-approved aircraft, although technically not under the ATO, will be with the ATO’s instructors using the ATO’s training manual, procedures and documentation. This means that when completing the IR course, which has to be on an approved aircraft, the ATO knows exactly the standard of the IR student and will “approve” all flight training done “outside” the ATO. There is a fee involved, but only to equalize the total payment to the ATO, whose approval and training materiel is used, whether the training is done within the ATO or not.

Last Edited by huv at 16 Jan 07:30
huv
EKRK, Denmark

This means that when completing the IR course, which has to be on an approved aircraft

Does that mean that the skill test can not be in the non commercial standards private aircraft?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

“Does that mean that the skill test can not be in the non commercial standards private aircraft?”

Yes, that is the case according to national regulations in Denmark. The question here is whether this is regulated by EASA/EU, in which case it overrules any national regulation.

Since the Danish CAA was abolished a few years ago, the remaining aviation staff in the Transport Authority has had a very hard time keeping up with all the new European legislation, so in many cases there is confusion whether national or EASA regulation counts. I guess the situation would be similar in many other countries. I have not checked in detail, but in tis particular case the answer could be depending on whether Part-NCO is in force or not. In Denmark it is not yet.

Last Edited by huv at 16 Jan 13:01
huv
EKRK, Denmark

I spent ages and several iterations on the checklist, converting the POH into something brief and ergonomic that would satisfy the CAA. It was one of the most frustrating parts of the process, although the end result was pretty decent

I don’t know the ins and outs for the CPL, but for IR, MEP and PPL, there is no requirement for the CAA to approve the checklist anymore, this has been so for quite some time. However, if the examiner takes exception to it, be prepared to demonstrate it is in accordance with the POH…

Biggin Hill

Hence spending a long time on it, to ensure it both covered the POH and flowed nicely with my SOPs :)

I should have said “satisfy the examiner.”

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

In Croatia and Slovenia you can’t do training on your aircraft except if you don’t assign it temporarely to school where you do the training and this has to be approved by CAA – in other words the aircraft has to fulfill the same conditions as any other aircraft used for training. Check rides can be done on your aircraft.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This was found on the Swiss CAA website, by a pilot who has just emailed it to me (I don’t have the original URL).

Who would like to develop the answers?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

CB IR TK questions – poor quality?

I have been reading some comments (in a “closed” forum) from people who have recently sat these exams.

It appears that somebody who doesn’t actually fly aircraft has got their teeth stuck into the process of question selection for the CB IR, and a lot of the exam questions are just plain inappropriate to GA. They might below into the 13-exam CPL or the 14-exam ATPL (CPL/IR).

Has anybody here found the same?

The online QBs are also reportedly of poor quality for the CB IR and seemingly even worse than those produced for the non-ATPL version of the JAA IR which I did in 2011. The online QBs were always problematic in that they contained many questions which were removed from the non-ATPL version of the JAA IR, but the CB IR seems to be worse.

Administrator

The CAAs select the questions from the QB which means all depends on the CAA people. When I sat the IR, the choice was quite remarkable. Not a single rubbish question or where you have to choose among 4 wrong answers even though there are hundreds of them in the QB.

Yes – I 100% agree, on the JAA IR exams I did, in the UK. Obviously somebody in the UK CAA did a lot of weeding.

But who has screwed up the CB IR questions?

AIUI, all questions in the exams and the practice QBs come out of the original JAA ATPL QB (which is public). I am not 100% sure of this though…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message