Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

Peter wrote:

They also need to make the 30hr “freelance credit” usable with normal IMCR FIs, not the very rare “IR FIs”.

Yeah. Although in practice, I think most people go via the IMCR, and once you have the IMCR (for which you can claim a 15 hour credit for the CB IR), you can continue to fly with IMCR FI (or, indeed, solo), but as PIC (i.e. you must be in the UK etc.), and claim up to 30 hours of that time as a credit (pursuant to the credit for “flying under IFR and IMC conditions under the privileges of an EIR, ICAO IR or IMC/IR(R)”). I did my IMCR with a local instructor (a “IMCR FI”, but himself a holder of a IR via the CB IR route), then a further 10 hours with him (where I was PIC using my IMCR), 5 hours with a freelance IRI (no particular reason for that, really was just down to who was available) and the final 10 hours at the ATO.

EGTF, United Kingdom

allowing the practical flying course to be done with a declared training organisation (DTO) instead of an ATO

Amazing!

Gosh, they will be adopting FAA Part 61 next I mean, it might be possible to do an IR where you learnt to fly to start with, like you can in the US. Sacrilege!! Everybody and their dog has known since for ever that this single point is by far the biggest reason for so few IR holders in Europe, but the FTO industry lobby preferred that.

They also need to make the 30hr “freelance credit” usable with normal IMCR FIs, not the very rare “IR FIs”.

3 ratings since inception

How many man-hours have gone into launching a product which was so obviously useless from Day 1?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some potentially positive developments in the UK for the CB IR and other aspects of pilot licensing.

The CAA consultation document out today has a few interesting ideas out for consultation:

• reviewing the theoretical knowledge syllabus
  • consolidating the theory exams
  • allowing the practical flying course to be done with a declared training organisation (DTO) instead of an ATO. Some freelance instructors are DTOs.

Needless to say, these changes have the potential to make the CB IR much more accessible in the UK.

Conversely, the CAA is proposing removing the ability for individual flight instructors to teach the IMC rating/IR(R), arguing that students benefit from the structured training environment in an ATO/DTO. They are also proposing updates to that rating’s TK syllabus and exam (which is good news, as it’s horribly out of date).

The CAA also proposes to remove the EIR, noting that it has only issued 3 ratings since inception. The BIR will not be adopted in the UK.

Various other proposed changes to the NPPL/sub-ICAO licences too.

EGTF, United Kingdom

Thanks !

rschris wrote:

I would recommend to get an instructor/safety pilot on your first IFR flights after the BIR, especially if they appear to be in IMC.

Makes sense. But a few IFR / IMC flights is still less than 50 hrs dual :)

France

Long-term goal is (most likely) to have an IFR aircraft and travel around (not planning on becoming an airline pilot). IR is mainly to increase dispatch rate, fly higher and further with less restrictions, and also streamline the whole flight (procedures, ATC, preparation, etc.), increasing proficiency and safety.
From what I understand right now this could be achieved most easily by getting a BIR (with CBIR theory), building time and traveling at the same time (without an instructor), and eventually converting to CBIR using this IFR experience.

Then and as mentioned by arj1 above, yes the BIR —> CBIR route is probably the best way for you.

I would recommend to get an instructor/safety pilot on your first IFR flights after the BIR, especially if they appear to be in IMC.

Last Edited by rschris at 27 Oct 10:12
Switzerland

maxbc wrote:

My short-term goal is (after obtaining the PPL which is still a few hours away) working on IR in the same way as I did the PPL (in a small club, having fun flying along the way, and with cheap-ish rental costs). I’m not really in a rush but would still like to complete it within a year or so, just to feel like I’m progressing.

Long-term goal is (most likely) to have an IFR aircraft and travel around (not planning on becoming an airline pilot). IR is mainly to increase dispatch rate, fly higher and further with less restrictions, and also streamline the whole flight (procedures, ATC, preparation, etc.), increasing proficiency and safety.

If you don’t plan to fly to the UK* immediately after you’ve got your rating, then I’d strongly suggest going BIR first (no mandatory hours, lax minima, less theory etc) and then, after getting your 50PIC XC under IFR (that is under IFR, not under IMC), you could convert it to CB-IR with just pass a skills test.

UK does not recognise BIR.

EGTR

rschris wrote:

If you could share what are your goals with this rating, probably it will be easier to give you useful tips.

My short-term goal is (after obtaining the PPL which is still a few hours away) working on IR in the same way as I did the PPL (in a small club, having fun flying along the way, and with cheap-ish rental costs). I’m not really in a rush but would still like to complete it within a year or so, just to feel like I’m progressing.

From what I understand right now this could be achieved most easily by getting a BIR (with CBIR theory), building time and traveling at the same time (without an instructor), and eventually converting to CBIR using this IFR experience.

Last Edited by maxbc at 27 Oct 07:50
France

gallois wrote:

What is your definition of a real pilot?

Your story fits perfectly in the definition, thanks ! Nothing to do with CPL or else, I just meant real-life experience (real stories by pilots). Inspiration by Richard McSpadden for the expression “Real pilot stories”.

France

rschris wrote:

An IR done through the CBIR route is 100% ICAO compliant.

Precisely — the “route” part is the important thing. CBIR is not a separate rating, it is a training route for the IR. (Of which there are three — integrated, traditional modular and CB modular.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hello Max,

I’ve got my Instrument Rating through CBIR.
I did it the year after my PPL with an ATO in Annecy.

I don’t really understand what you means “ICAO IR vs CBIR”. An IR done through the CBIR route is 100% ICAO compliant.

The route to add an IR to a PPL through CBIR is pretty straightforward. The details can change depending on your previous IFR experience.
About BIR first and then CBIR, I can’t judge. When I did my CBIR in 2021, the BIR was not yet fully in place and I decided to go to the IR directly.

If you could share what are your goals with this rating, probably it will be easier to give you useful tips.

Switzerland
689 Posts
Sign in to add your message