Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Completing the CBM IR - My experience

For anyone interested in the CBM IR I have written an account of some of my experiences in taking and completing the CBM IR that can be found on the link (blog)

I believe that I was within the first batch of pilots to go through the CBM IR for the EASA PPL/IR & the write up is a reflection of my experience that might be of interest to those who are similarly interested in the rating. It is an honest account as I saw it as a relatively low hour pilot who flies for fun at the weekend

https://nickritterblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/17/completing-the-cbm-ir-my-experience/

Thanks very much for posting @NickR it was great to read. I have enrolled with Caledonian for the TK, and will on your recommendation get the question bank subscription. I was also thinking of RateOne so its great to hear of someone who has already done exactly what i was planning. The travel is a pain but it seems local flying clubs have been slow to get the approvals for the CBIR.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Thanks for your writeup.

I still can’t understand how it can be true that – in a country such as England – one has to travel from London to Gloucester to get proper IR training. Sounds like third world, aeronautical-wise.

27 hours seem a lot for a current IR(R) pilot to get fit for an IR test. To make a point: what’s left to learn about IFR flying when you are already able to fly approaches and holdings?? (I know mentioned some items in your writeup, bad I still can’t quite understand).

What’s downright shocking though is the cost you are quoting. Even if a few k went into theory stuff etc. 13k pounds for 27 hours (if I understood that right) is insane. I am afraid that with that writeup, you’ll have a hard time motivating others to do the same…

Still, congratulations!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Great on you for pushing through. And great that EASA has finally eased up a little by making the IR more accessible. Still, it’s as you say no easy task to fit in when one has a normal job, family etc. Once again, the CAA and Euro rulers show extreme “GA racism” by gearing all ratings towards the professional student who have nothing but time. It’s simply not set up for people that don’t have that desire.

1. What’s the nonsense with having to do the test at predetermined times at Gatwick? On weekdays to boot, just to really screw those who have a 9 to 5 job? Why on earth could you not just turn up at your convenience and do it? All it needs is a monitored room and a computer. Good heavens what idiocy.

2. Also, what’s tho obsession with an ATO? There’s a flight instructor licensed by the CAA to flight instruct IR – let him do that. OK, I can see perhaps the need for some mandatory ground instruction, but that could be done one on one and logged with paperwork. No need for huge infrastructure or a school.

I’m afraid that although the IR has perhaps becomes easier, it’s still way too high a practical barrier for most PPL’s. Which is a shame, because the IR helps save lives and increases safety. Why would anyone purposefully want to make that hard to achieve? I don’t get it.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 17 Sep 17:16

AdamFrisch wrote:

2. Also, what’s tho obsession with an ATO? There’s a flight instructor licensed by the CAA to flight instruct IR – let him do that.

European regulators don’t trust instructors (or indeed any individuals). They trust organisations. Not defending it but it is commonplace in all aspects of regulation over here.

EGTK Oxford

They trust organisations.

They don’t. Their only trust is in paperwork. The more the better.
It doesn’t matter how a plane looks or a pilot performs it is the paper that counts.

United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

What’s downright shocking though is the cost you are quoting.

£13k is nearly €18K (or more if you have it converted by a bank)
I recall a nice September day in Cologne 2011 when they showed this slide:

I think they got the arrows wrong on the next slide:

They stated the total number is not important, whether it is 6k or 9k or 19k.

I wonder what a VFR only pilot will pay with 40hrs of training.

United Kingdom

What do Options 0-2 refer to?

In 2001 I paid around $5,000 for my IR training at a part 141 school in California. My hope then was that one day there would be a conversion path to the European IR. Thanks to the CB-IR route, I “converted” (passed the EASA IR skill test) last May.

Back then my wife thought it was horribly expensive. If she only knew!

Last Edited by Aviathor at 18 Sep 08:57
LFPT, LFPN

Option 0 is no change
Option 1 is EIR
Option 2 is CBIR

United Kingdom

I have to say I would have thought that the CBIR would have reduced the costs by more than 19%. I know I tend to largely see fATPL wannabes that have already paid the cost for the TK but I’m pretty sure they are saving more than 19%.

Well done on passing

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message