Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Will never work as a pilot. Should I get the CPL?

Just got a response from my theory ground school: Bristol GS is indeed ATPL only, but they've got the course approved by the Dutch authorities to be used for IR. So it is mainly a bureaucratic issue...

Getting a a CPL: I had an okay experience, and a set of first time passes, and low bills, doing it through CATS. They were a bit shambolic, but it worked. That said I've not dealt with them for a fair number of years now, so they could be quite different.

Question banks: There's no real alternative except learning the subject. However, a QB helps refine exam technique, find important gaps in your knowledge, and get into the habit of putting yourself inside the examiners head. These are important if you plan to pass - I used the Bristol QB alongside CATS for my CPL, and it was valuable.

CPL without an AOC?: I have a CPL, I'm regularly paid to fly, I have never worked for an AOC holder. Most instructing doesn't need it any more, I do bits of test flying for which I use it, I occasionally do a bit of aircraft ferrying for which I use it, I regularly deal with other (and full time) professional pilots in other aspects of my existence - where the credibility and understanding it gave me are essential.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

According to the CATS website CATS charge £1,399 for all their distance courses whether it is 7 subjects for the IR, 13 subjects for the CPL or 14 subjects for the ATPL....and all three courses are divided into three Stages....presumably with a 1week residential requirement at the end of each stage.....so it looks like one may as well do the full ATPL for very little incremental effort over the IR only

Correction: only a 1 day classroom at the end of each stage for the IR.....1week x3 for CPL and ATPL

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Actually CATS are very flexible, and they only require 3 days' on-site training, which are provided on the Saturday before each exam sitting. But if you prefer to do the exams in 2 sittings, that's also possible. I'm sure you would find CATS will accommodate. As long as you pass their online progress tests you can be signed off to sit the exams.

The CATS course is in some need of an update to re-align with the new syllabus (since last year), which is a bit frustrating when the course is expensive (prices recently went up). But like most ground schools, their main market is the ATPL so I can understand to some degree why they don't want to invest in rewriting the course for the tiny IR market, especially when EASA is proposing even more changes.

I supplemented the CATS material with a 6-month subscription to aviationexam.com which has a better QB and software than CATS. I think they have the full QB not the stripped-down UK version, so you may end up covering more than the exams, but it's not a big problem.

Also, if you join pplir.org you will get a discount on the CATS course that should cover the subscription fees (my discount was enough for 3 years!), plus there is loads of useful information there as here. And you will be supporting a useful lobbying group.

[Edit to add that I just finished my exams last month via CATS, hence this info is reasonably current]

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

I had the same dilemma a few years ago and signed up for the CATS ATPL. They're very good and nicely accommodating. I invested in the full printed copies of all 14 subjects but whilst I found the studying enjoyable I didn't find that I had the time to do it so it stalled. So, if anyone wants to buy the printed matter...........

Forever learning
EGTB

Thanks for the advice Rich....and I am already a member of PPLIR...

Rich and other that have taken the CATS course recently:

When I look at the course from Bristol, it appears to be very well laid out with lots of useful /instructive videos and stuff ala King School. Is that also the case with CATS?

The video one can access on their web site (about using the flight computer) is not very good.

The 7 theory exams will be dropped for only 1 new EASA IR theory exam which will be only 1 theory exam to take. See http://www.enstoneflyingclubblog.co.uk/?p=236. The French initiative will be taken over by EASA from what I am told by Emmanuel Davidson first hand a few months ago.

When the above will take effect, I don't know, but I understood it will not be long :-)

EDLE, Netherlands

When I look at the course from Bristol, it appears to be very well laid out with lots of useful /instructive videos and stuff ala King School. Is that also the case with CATS?

The video one can access on their web site (about using the flight computer) is not very good.

You can get a feel for the CATS videos on you tube. Search for "Catsground".....

You can get a feel for the CATS videos on you tube. Search for "Catsground".....

Thanks, saw them. A few from Bristol popped up as well. From what I can see movies and study guides from Bristol GS appear more professionally made. But the course costs a little more too.

Sign in to add your message