Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Specific training for English level 5/6

I use English daily but mostly reading and writing. That and my manner of expression generally (using simpler sentences and phrases in any language) caused me to fail a level 5/6 test and get only level 4, although in my opinion my English knowledge is enough to cover a higher one. I think I can get a better result if I get to practice a bit with somebody who knows exactly what the examiners look for. Does anyone know a person or organization that prepares pilots especially for the proficiency exam (and not general English knowledge)? Something in the Zurich area or online (e.g. skype) would work best for me.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I feel your frustration. I work in an international environment and speak and write English on a daily basis.
I got LPE level 5 six years ago so I need to pass the test again this year.

I know people who are much less proficient in English than I am who got level 6 at another training center.
So obviously, it matters a lot where you do the exam.

I got a name of a Dutch LPE examiner who is known for giving you a Level 6. So I’ll go to this guy.

I am not really frustrated (any more as my test was several years ago). However exactly like you I know people with a much worse English than me who have level 6, so I think I can do it as well. So I would like to try again and get level 6.

Can you just choose the examiner? Can you do the exam in another EASA country (not the one that issued your license) and transfer the result easily?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

There are seemingly dozens of outfits running a “course + exam” scheme for ICAO English over here (Poland, possibly with Czech and/or Slovak examiners).

I’m in a similar usage position as you (read/write much more than listen, talk even less) and got level 5 and almost apologies from the examiner for not giving me a level 6 – but I agree, I really did not use the proper terminology. FWIW I took the official CAA exam, which I’ve been told is the best way to not pass. Caveat emptor, I guess.

What I’m trying to say, I’d expect using English while flying to be the best way to train to get the 6 the next time you’re due. That is my plan.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

No, the Swiss won’t accept language proficiency exams from other countries (if it states a level 6, you will only get a 5, and they don’t accept exams from certain countries at all IIRC). But you could move your licence to the UK and would most likely be awarded an LP 6 there.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 11 Jan 13:39

Hi Vladimir,

Although I can’t help you, I would like to share my experience with you. Firstly, which exam are you trying? My next comments will only apply if you are trying the IELTS.

I am originally from Portugal and moved to the UK ten years ago to study for a bachelor of honours degree. Back then, my english skills were quite poor. After a few mock exams, my results were around 3/4 (IELTS exam). The UNI requested a 6.5 min. I hired a tutor and soon realised that IELTS is all about the use of language that is more suitable for academic studies. In less than 3 months I improved my score and got a 7.

If IELTS is the exam you are preparing for, there are plenty of courses and books available online.

I hope this can help.

EGSU, United Kingdom

Vladimir wrote:

(and not general English knowledge)

In the level 6 exam I did, general English was almost as important as aviation English. So just any kind of English conversation should help. Don’t you have anybody at work you can talk English to? He must not be a native speaker for that.
To me, the examiners (there were two Englinshmen taking my exam together) explained that for level 6 you need to be fluent in English with a good vocabulary. A foreign accent is no problem, but bad grammar is. You are not allowed many grammatical mistakes and they count everything. One of my (few – luckily) mistakes was that I once said “formulas” instead of “formulae”.

And mind you, even the “smalltalk” at the beginning counts for the exam where they ask you some questions about your former life, and why you want to fly, and if you encountered lots of traffic while driving to the exam location and stuff like that.

So: Talk, talk, talk as much as you can. Talk in English to your wife or girlfriend, to your buddies, to your cat! Write as much here as you can without thinking much and without using google translate. That should help a lot more than going to some English teacher.

Good luck! (And if you don’t pass, who cares. Most flying companies have an English level 4 examiner among their pilots or flight examiners who will sign that for you whenever it is required.)

Last Edited by what_next at 11 Jan 13:50
EDDS - Stuttgart

tmo wrote:

I’d expect using English while flying to be the best way to train to get the 6 the next time you’re due

Not sure (at least not in Switzerland). The exam includes talking about a picture (mine was a very stupid one with some kind of bicycle and something in the background which the examiner told me was an early “flying device” but I couldn’t identify it as one myself) and they ask you to talk about the picture. At that time they check the usage of more complex structures, phrases and words (e.g. a complex sentence with conjunctions, etc.). This is also where I failed – I got 4 on this one which makes the whole exam a 4. So flying is not a good preparation at all, they don’t check flying phraseology at all.

Fernando wrote:

if you are trying the IELTS

Thanks Fernando. We are talking about the the pilot proficiency exam here, it is unfortunately not a standard exam in English.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

@what_next: Your explanation is exactly what my experience was. I speak good English, I don’t use google translate at all and I only rarely have to look up a word in the dictionary. However I tend to use simple phrases. I talked with my last level 4 examiner and she told me that complex structures are important. Here is an example: you can say “I am a pilot. I come from Bulgaria. However I speak English” or you can say “I am a pilot and despite coming from Bulgaria I have extensive experience with the English language”. The meaning is the same or very similar but the second one uses a more complex structure. The first one gets you level 4, the second gives you a chance for a higher one.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 11 Jan 14:02
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

You guys should get L6 with your eyes shut. I have met you all, I think

Compare that with the often atrocious ATC English over so much southern Europe… Spain France Italy…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
50 Posts
Sign in to add your message