Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATP Skill Test. Europe or US

Did the FAA ATP written test in 2014 before they changed the system in the US.
As this exam expires this summer, I have to get going with setting up the practical test.
I had hoped that I would be sent for another type-rating at work, and could have included the ATP practical there, but it seems like this will not happen.
So its Seneca time again (last time was 1996)

I need to get going with the paperwork and TSA approval before I can schedule training and examination.
The verification process of the foreign license is up to 2 months so I need to get started. Problem is that I need to dedicate a FSDO.
If I go for a European based FAA Examiner, I must choose FSDO New York.
If I decide for US training, it will be Miami.

So I need to make a quick decision for what to do.

Doing it in Europe has it advantages and its drawbacks:

+ More expensive Twin rental (600€ pr hour vs 360$ in the US. Instructor inc)
Might be possible to find a cheaper Twin somewhere!!??

+ Training in Europe saves on travel expenses.

+ Testing in Europe is easier when it comes to airspace familiarity etc(don’t think this is a big issue)

+ US flight schools schedules between 5-7 hrs training. European school 4-6.
Hopefully I will be in the lower part if I can remember what I learned in the 90’s.

Just wondered if anybody has done the Practical test in Europe with one of the 2 Examiners available here.

Just need some more information before I decide what to do.

Espen

spirit49
LOIH

Hi Espen

I did the Faa MEP/instrument skills test in Seneca out of Le Touquet about 7 years ago. Examiner was thorough but fair. I feared the oral most but if you have remembered and are on top of the Commercial/ATP written stuff and know the a/c performance stats inside out you should be oK. I had a great FAA instructor who brushed me up for the check ride. She was Surrey based but I think may have emigrated to Florida.
I’m happy to talk on the phone PM me if you wish to.

Ian

EGHO Thruxton

I did mine, both Multi and Single with ATP in the US. I don’t believe the L2K examiner is authorised to do an ATP ride, which typically involves going to various airports. Again this is a saving in the US due to the proximity of airports with instrument approaches.

The ride is more scenario based than the typical EASA ride, and will involve an oral. Typical hot topics are NOTAMs at major airports, some Principles of Flight (Multi engine), and IFR charts and plates.

This video is a good guide, and Leslie signed me off in Chicago. Arguably the SE ATP is tougher with more failures and more extended limited panel exercises, including very slow flight near the stall and climbs and descents on the back of the power curve, plus the usual limited panel approaches and the CPL performance glide approach and landings. My DPE for that ride was out of Jacksonville and a Gulf veteran, different character to Leslie, but both DPEs impressed, as well as the efficient prep by ATP.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Thanks guys for your inputs.

Since I will have problems scheduling the training and examination in the US, I have decided to go for the European version.

So I am about to get the “Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License” sent to the FAA.
I have done this twice in the past, and I understand that this normally takes about 6 weeks to get completed.

-Letter is sent to the FAA.
-FAA sends a request for Authenticity to the Norwegian CAA.
-Norwegian CAA replies back to the FAA
-FAA sends me the Confirmation by Post, and this is then handed to the Examiner for the Test!?
Did I understand the process correctly?

Someone mentioned about a year ago in one of my other Posts, that you now how to show up in person at the Norwegian CAA (in Bodø), to make them issue the Verification to the FAA.
Is this correct?
Never had to do this on the previous 2 Verifications I have done.

Espen

spirit49
LOIH

It looks like I will go for the European version of the ATP skill test.
However, the Twin I was suppose to use for the training/test is down for engine OH for the next months.
So now I need to find a Twin owner that would be willing to rent out for about 5 hours.

If anybody know of a Twin for rent(for a reasonable amount per hour) in the Bodensee/Innsbruck/Munchen area, I would love to hear about it.

Espen

spirit49
LOIH

Not sure it’s still useful to you, but you can speed up the process by using fax/ e-mail instead of “snail” mail.

I guess you mean to get the Verification Process?!

It was pretty fast even with Snail Mail.

spirit49
LOIH

spirit49 wrote:

Someone mentioned about a year ago in one of my other Posts, that you now how to show up in person at the Norwegian CAA (in Bodø), to make them issue the Verification to the FAA.
Is this correct?

That must have been me, but it does not apply to the certificate validation process. It was related to the process for changing the foreign license certificate number.

On the other hand the NO CAA will send you an invoice for certificate validation No kidding.

LFPT, LFPN

spirit49 wrote:

I guess you mean to get the Verification Process?!

Yes.

Aviathor wrote:

On the other hand the NO CAA will send you an invoice for certificate validation No kidding.

Done it 3 times now.
No invoices so far.
Now I probably jinxed it ;)

spirit49
LOIH
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message