Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA written exams in Europe - no more

I did my entire FAA Private and Instrument training, testing and check-ride in Europe (I already had an EASA PPL with IR(R)). Mainly because I had my own N reg aircraft and there was a local CFII who also happens to be an EASA FI.

BUT when I add up the time, expense and hassle of getting my TSA fingerprints taken in Stockholm (involving a two leg commercial flight from Aberdeen), two separate FAA written exams (FS Farnborough would not allow both Private and Instrument in one day), a checkride 500 miles away (although combined Private and Instrument in a single flight the not-insignificant fee is charged twice), I could certainly have done my flying training here and travelled to the US, done my final three hours, sat the writtens and taken the check-rides and have, money and time left over (plus a few air-miles!)

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 28 Jun 13:38
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I could certainly have done my flying training here and travelled to the US, done my final three hours, sat the writtens and taken the check-rides and have, money and time left over (plus a few air-miles!)

I am sure everybody would agree with the raw financial picture…

The specific problem with not being able to do the exam(s) here is that you can’t achieve being “fully ready” for the flight training in the USA. You have bought airline tickets there and back but have to take a risk on not having the exam done by the time the checkride comes up (I don’t think you need it any earlier).

But the much bigger picture is that having to do the exams in the USA is a really big barrier to any growth in the European N-reg community. The whole US process is a big hassle (some notes here) and this chucks in a big obstacle right at the start which is the point at which most people start – they start with getting the exam(s) out of the way.

Fortunately, from Jacko’s reply, it doesn’t look like they are limiting it to US citizens, which would be pretty dumb.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In addition to the two commercial FAA testing providers: PSI/Lasergrade and CATS, I believe some US Airbases can do the testing including Ramstein and Mildenhall I understand, although this may only be for USAF personnel or US citizens I don’t know. Probably worth a call before booking flights to the US though…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Not trying to be pedantic but FWIW when FAA limits stuff to people in the US, it is rarely done on the basis of citizenship, it is instead done on the basis of US permanent residence. Aircraft registration in an individual name is an example. I’m glad it’s not the case for pilot certificates.

Dear all

Following my inquiry at AOPA USA, I recently got the following reply :

= quote

Thanks for contacting AOPA’s Pilot Information Center. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you, we we’re waiting on feedback from the FAA. I can confirm the several knowledge testing centers outside of the USA, including Flight Safety International in the UK, will be shutting down. Our understanding is that this is as a result of the FAA requesting that they close, they were not forced to do so.

Essentially the FAA wanted to reign in the testing occurring outside the US and where it is done. This decision seems to be made, at least partially, out of respect for the ICAO authorities too. The FAA knowledge testing centers are managed by holders of Organization Designation Authorizations (ODAs) and their respective testcenters, such Flight Safety International. Any interactions between the FAA and an ODA holder are typically private, and never discussed publicly. This is why you would not have seen any official FAA documentation.

We appreciate you taking the time to write us about this topic, and for the idea to post something on the website/communicating through other channels. We are considering running a story on the topic.

= unquote

EHLE, EHRD, Netherlands

Can anyone guess at the % of European N-reg owner-pilots who did a significant % of their stuff in Europe – specifically the FAA exams?

I reckon this move might pretty well finish any growth in the N-reg scene over here.

Administrator

Most people you hear about did their FAA knowldege tests in the US (people from Southern England might be the exception, since the testing centre was around their house). Doing it in the USA costs much less, and if you already have your endorsement in your logbook before leaving, then it’s just a matter of losing half a day over there before you can start with the flying part.

So, no, it will IMHO not have a noticable impact.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 Jun 19:11
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I agree with Bosco, it really is very straightforward to do in the US. Easier to get appointments. You can still get the sign off here. You can do the BFR for a 61.75 here.

EGTK Oxford

Is there any new info on this i.e. is there anywhere in Europe one can sit an FAA written exam?

Administrator

Peter, as far as I know only if you´re a member of the US armed forces. In this case you should still be able to take the written at Ramstein airbase. But I also think it´s much easier to learn for the exam here, possibly get the endorsement by an FAA CFI(I) and then do the 60 minutes (at most) test somewhere in the US.
That´s for someone who already has some experience of course. If you start from scratch it´s a good idea to get theory lessons by a good ground instructor during your training in the States.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany
Sign in to add your message