Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA written exams in Europe - no more

Does anyone have the skinny on this?

I gather that, coinciding with implementation of new Airman Certification Standards on July 15, test centres seeking FAA authorisation must ensure that most of their candidates are US citizens, which has snookered companies like Flight Safety International in Farnborough.

Is there any chance that the Administration will soften this requirement?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Just had Flight Safety Farnborough on the phone, they lose the right to perform knowledge test. They put you on waiting list but are not really optimistic on getting back the agreement…

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Is there no other FAA exam centre in Europe?

If there isn’t, that really makes it a lot harder to get FAA papers now.

I did my PPL and IR exams in 2004/05 at a long defunct outfit in the UK, and the CPL exam I did in Arizona in 2006 (just gave them $90 and sat it at the same school – couldn’t be simpler) while doing the IR there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FWIW I booked last week for this week (IFP), and following available date was July 1X.. They often seem to have cancellations so keep trying gives you a decent change to get a sitting. That’s if you have something to pass until then, I suppose

When I took my IFP exam last week, I was told this was the last chance to do so (fortunately I did manage to pass), as they were no longer accepting bookings, due to the FAA rules changing. They seemed sad as they had planned to actually increase their capacity before that happened.

Someone has just confirmed that this is effective 15th July.

So, no more FAA theory exams before doing the training. You will need to do the computer revision at home and then go to the USA for the exam(s) and the flight training.

The other obvious aspect is that – except for those travelling to the USA anyway – it will pretty well wipe out the European training + checkride route, because if you are going to the USA anyway, why bother with the convoluted and problematic European training and checkride stuff.

Administrator

test centres seeking FAA authorisation must ensure that most of their candidates are US citizens,

Is that really the wording?

That prevents any non US citizens doing FAA licenses/ratings!

That would be dynamite

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is that really the wording?

That prevents any non US citizens doing FAA licenses/ratings!

How so? It doesn’t say anything about non US citizens not being able to do FAA licences / ratings, it just implies that they might have to test in the US (because there won’t be centres anywhere else due to the “most (but not ALL) candidates are US citizens”

@Jacko says that “most” need to be US. However where is the original text?

Administrator

That’s just what I was told on the phone by a former UK knowledge test centre.

I also asked a US based DPE who said she was waiting for a reply from the FAA regarding knowledge testing outside the US, but “it does look like you will have to come here to do it”.

I’m sorry, I don’t know more than that.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message