Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Big variations in PPL costs

From here

@Malte

Last time I looked the PPL costs between 18 and 20 k in Switzerland.

8000? Where?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Okay on Switzerland I don’t know the schools, but here is an emample: http://www.vap-flightschool.com/de/ausbildung/ppla-2/

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I just checked some schools. The cheapest I found was Grenchen, which gives an “all inclusive” offer of CHF17200.-

MFGZ, Wangen Lachen, Birrfeld, Seeland all give an average between 18 and 25k.

CPL/IR we are talking 6 digits. In my time, it was half that.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

In that case, why isn’t the whole of Swiss PPL scene training outside?

In the UK, even at airports with a say £30 landing fee (though the schools usually get block deals) it is about 10k IF you do it in the minimum 45hrs (the usual massive caveat).

Does Switzerland not recognise (historically) foreign PPLs?

My son started a PPL not long ago. He dropped it but is now restarting it (doing all the exams first). Each lesson, ~1.2hrs total logbook time, was £250. That works out to 9.5k. Exams are ~£30 each, x6? He knows how to fly etc so is 100% QB-banging, so won’t be paying for ground school. So say £10k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In Croatia it’s around €10k but it’s almost extinguished except as first step at CPL/ATPL road.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

AFAIk, many Swiss who live anywhere reasonably close to France, Germany or Austria do train go abroad for training (and also for renting / basing their own aircraft). It’s the same with shopping, etc.

But where they live too far away from a suitable place outside Switzerland, it doesn’t make sense.

Plus there are obviously those who train in Switzerland for categorical reasons, plus there are those who don’t care about the cost difference.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Sep 08:07
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Emir, why would that be?

Sure, Croatia still isn’t a country with a huge number of wealthy people who could afford to fly. But look at Poland for comparison. AFAICS, it does have a rather well-growing PPL scene. (I know that Poland’s economy has been delevoping well over the last years, whereas Croatia did not do too well, maybe that’s a factor.)

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Sep 08:13
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Meanwhile, you can get a PPL in Hungary for €6000 or in Czech Republic for €4800. The latter one is at my home base.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 04 Sep 08:22
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Peter wrote:

IF you do it in the minimum 45hrs (the usual massive caveat)

It is, but it gives a standardised means of comparison.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

It is, but it gives a standardised means of comparison.

Exactly. And if the minimum training costs twice as much, the extra hour probably costs about twice as much as well. One should also note which aircraft was used to calculate that price. Some schools don’t train on C150 or equivalent and some people aren’t interested. It’s obvious training on an SR20 with G1000 will be significantly more expensive.

88 Posts
Sign in to add your message