Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CBIR / European IR to FAA IR

The privilege to fly as co-pilot in a MP aircraft requires a CPL.

Not according to Part FCL

FCL.205.A PPL(A) — Privileges
(a) The privileges of the holder of a PPL(A) are to act without remuneration as PIC or co-pilot on aeroplanes or TMGs engaged in non-commercial operations.

Thanks everyone for the great replies.

Switzerland is apparently one of those countries that put the “CB IR” into the license…

@Tumbleweed,

You are, of course, correct. So I should change my statement to

The privilege to fly as co-pilot in a MP aircraft requires a type rating

The point remains – the restriction is a bit silly.

Biggin Hill

I did the CBIR because I have no intention to fly commercially / multi pilot, and didn’t want to commit extra time doing exams. Just took 2 days off to do all the 7 exams.
My licence says CBIR.
Got my FAA 61.75 verified and the examiner accepted them (haven’t received the temporary certificate though).

If one day I need the ATPL theory then I’ll take the time, probably 2-3 month off (extrapolating to 4-5x the workload of CBIR which I studied on evenings only), but probability of that happening X time I would have needed to take off now was just not worth it.

This is increasingly off topic but if you did

• the 14 ATPL exams
  • the CB IR training route to the IR
  • the CPL

you would have a full standard ATPL. Well, it would be a “frozen ATPL” like any other “frozen ATPL” which you have when you leave an FTO, and start thumbing through the airline job ads

The reason the ATPL FTOs don’t implement it that way is because they want to do the full 55hr IR (more €€€). They don’t want some candidates saving money because they have some prior flying experience and don’t need the full 55hrs before they are ready for the IRT.

But if you were doing an ATPL as a private individual, on minimal cost…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Cobalt wrote:

The privilege to fly as co-pilot in a MP aircraft requires a type rating

The point remains – the restriction is a bit silly.

Isn’t that because, under the EASA regime, every MP aircraft requires a type rating?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes. My point was – the restriction to “Single pilot non-HPA aircraft” is completely pointless since the rules do not allow you to fly any of these without additional qualification, and the nature of the restriction is such that you won’t get these qualifications without filling the theory gap…

It is like printing “This driver’s licence does not permit you to fly aircraft” on every driving licence.

The only appropriate wording would be “The holder of this licence requires an extended theory syllabus for their first high performance aircraft or first multi-pilot aircraft type rating”.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

The only appropriate wording would be “The holder of this licence requires an extended theory syllabus for their first high performance aircraft or first multi-pilot aircraft type rating”.

Indeed that is true, and when I did an HPA course, then a type rating, I wondered if they would remove the note as it was now irrelevant. Unsurprisingly the answer is no.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
am in a similar situation and would like to get the FAA IR validation (currently holding EASA PPL and CB IR).

It seems there are two different tests one can sign up for:

- Instrument Rating Airplane (IRA)
- Instrument Rating Foreign Pilot (IFP)

which one is the correct one?

Switzerland

I did the Foreign Pilot test which has 50 questions. I believe you can also take the IRA which has 60 questions and this would also be accepted.

You do not have to take any practical IR test or even an IPC with an instructor, although your Flight Review must be current.

The IRA is only needed if you are taking the FAA IR checkride for a standalone FAA certificate and standalone FAA IR which is independent of any EASA or other ICAO IR you might or might not have.

[Edited to correct number of questions]

Last Edited by DavidC at 01 Jun 21:10
FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message