Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

Ibra wrote:

Preferably, one would install games (FSX) on SSD and have the whole OS crap or editing the Instagram pictures lot to HDD?
Or just call it “the flight sim PC” and unplug the rest

You need to have both system and flight sim (FSX or Prepare 3D) on SSD, otherwise what is the point. Likewise, you should be able to put memory hungry addons onto the SSD too.

I’ve seen some setups last weekend at the Flight Sim Weekend at Hergiswil, where Brentford and 1st Sim were displaying their FS Sims. The usual setup is a I7 or 9 processor, 64 GB RAM, 2 graphics boards of the latest Nvidia 1080(?) kind with 8 or 16 GB each. Then one 512 GB SSD for the system, 1 TB SSD for the sim and another 2-3 TB as HDD for whatever else they do with those machines. Prices are in the 4000€ range.

Most folks today use high definition TV’s for their outside views as they are cheap and do the job fine plus some high definition monitors for instruments.

I also saw what must be the ultimate game laptop there…. unfortunately it is no longer manufactured. And I’d rather buy a new GTN for my plane than one of those.

My own PC is a few years old but also was made for FSX at the time. It is an I7 2700K with 3.5 GHZ, 8GBRAM, GTX570 with 4 GB RAM and several HDD’s of mostly 512GB or higher. Additionaly to that I use a laptop, ASUS G75V, which features an I7 3610QM @2.4 GHz Gforce GTX 670M with 3 GB RAM, a 256 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD. Both work adequately with FSX and would work even better with FS9, but are outdated for the latest Xplane and Prepare3D setups.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I recently came across the Hot Start TBM900 for X-Plane model

It is very detailed. All switches, sounds, behavior. Need to fly with a checklist.

MFD can integrate with charts from Autorouter if you have an account. Yes, the real one!

There is also some simulation of ownership, as the aircraft maintains its state between sessions. You should put covers on before leaving the game, don’t leave power on, etc. If you abuse the plane, there will be maintenance. Sometimes you fix things and they break again. For example, the pressure vessel can become a pain.

The only downside is the G1000. G3000 would be much easier to use with a mouse.

Some screenshots below.

LPFR, Poland

This is quite impressive

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How about this one?

There are quite a few home cockpits around which are of a very high quality.

Oh nice thread.
I’m sure most of you had already seen tubes of FS2020 and the mighty dr400

LFMD, France

How much would a pc capable of running FS2020 cost me?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I have no idea about FS2020 specifically but, generally, with sims/games, the answer depends on the desired frame rate i.e. smoothness. There is an endless quest to run Game X at frame rate Y and the real connoiseurs spend serious money on CPUs, graphics cards, and overclocking the whole lot

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy

I got something similar to this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Precision-T5810-Xeon-3-5Ghz-E5-1650v3-32GB-RAM-Quadro-FX-4000-1GB-240GB-SSD/293358357099

If you only intend to run 1 monitor it should be fine but factor in a 4 Gb graphics card if thinking of a second monitor.
Less hungry on graphics if you only intend on instrument practice.
I was happy witj a clean-install used PC, as it’s to be dedicated to the sim and not shared with essentials. Mine runs like a sream (has solid state HDD)
Then you need a Yoke and pedals
The Saitek pedals are ok and pedals are not critical but a quality yoke will make all the difference.
On advice I got a CH rather than a Saitek.
Got rid of it quickly.
They are both horrible. (Sorry if that offends anyone who has them)
A Brunner is the high end but at that point factoring absolutely everything in you could be at £4-6k
Very nice but I don’t have the funds.
There are Yokes around £250-500 that will be nice to use.
You may get frustrated with the mouse operation and start to look at hardware extras. At this point it becomes time consuming. Ask me how I know…lol

United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

It is totally unknown at the time what the hardware requirements to run FS2020 properly will be.

In the industry, there are currently no guidelines as the old specs of FSX and Xplane won’t work for this particular sim, as it is mostly streaming its content. Almost nothing will reside on the PC itself, as far as known today. So more important than a high power PC may well be the internet capability.

In recent editions, almost all simulators launched were ahead of the hardware, so therefore it was a year or two before PC’s were available on which they ran properly, particularly true for FSX. However, as FS2020 is also targeting the X-Box, again that may be different.

So the only thing one can do at the moment is wait for it to be released or at least to have public betas available. Before that, speculation on what hardware may be necessary is pretty much useless.

I recently upgraded my PC with the following hardware:

• AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB 3200MHz (Overkill, but I need it for video editing)
  • ASUS Geforce Rtx 2070 Super Rog Strix Gaming Oc 8GB
  • ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

It totals around 1400 EUR and I have yet to find a game that will push it under 100 FPS. I borrowed a friends Oculus Rift S and the sensation of sitting inside the airplane and flying it is insane. I got my own Rift in the mail now.

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message