Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

Alpha_Floor wrote:

No need to overreact

I never overreact …

Alpha_Floor wrote:

Sure you can practice your timings and sequences but arguably you can do that sitting on a chair holding two bananas for stick and throttle, no need for a sim

No there is no need for a sim. But, consider this. The F-35 is only single seat. All “dual” training is done in a sim. Granted the sim is a bit more advanced than a PC with X-Plane and some cheap joysticks, but a sim nonetheless, placed firmly on the ground.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Another video this evening, showing flight model with lift, drag and power vectors, as well as airflow or wake turbulence, and a nice spin. Xplane11 is nice as a sim!

LFMD, France

Has anyone here tried flight simming with VR goggles?

I’ve just had a go in a F16 sim, Oculus quest 2, and while it was brilliant to see all around (and the F16 is a great plane to fly, with the FBW assistance, auto trim, etc) I felt quite sick for an hour or two afterwards.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I have not, but a friend of mine (also a pilot) has and stopped for the reasons you cite.

I tried. The sickness goes away if you have a good enough PC producing a high enough framerate. However, it still gets tiring after a while, and can’t be too good for long-term vision.

ESME, ESMS

I found the resolution poor, although it could have been a focus issue.

You clearly do have to set everything up to fit just right.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I’ve been using VR goggles during aerobatic competitions for last three years. The sim I use is Aero Fly FS2. Before competition I download a high res terrain map of the airport where the competition takes place using FSET and geoconvert. It only takes a couple of minutes to fly a sequence and I take brakes in between, so I don’t get sick. With unknown sequences it is very nice to know before flying if you will fit in the box, when to close the throttle, where energy is lost, what height you should start at, etc. To simulate that using above mentioned bananas and one’s imagination, one has to be fairly experienced.

LPFR, Poland

Dimme wrote:

and can’t be too good for long-term vision

I can’t see why it’d be bad for long-term vision.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

I’ve just had a go in a F16 sim, Oculus quest 2, and while it was brilliant to see all around (and the F16 is a great plane to fly, with the FBW assistance, auto trim, etc) I felt quite sick for an hour or two afterwards.

I have a system based around an Oculus Quest using the Oculus Link cable to connect it to my PC – the original quest, not the Quest 2. I run FS 2020 and X-Plane. My system is an AMD D3700X, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 2070, Windows 10; for controls I have the Honeycomb Alpha Yoke and Bravo Throttle with Saitek Rudder Pedals.

Below is a video grabbed running X-Plane – the graphics in the outside world aren’t all that but it’s good enough. This is where FS2020 really shines.You can sit in the C172 and really believe you are in the seat, flying the aircraft. I’ve not felt any nausea when using it but the eyes do get tired after an hour or so. Perhaps I’ll do a video of FS2020 VR as a comparison.

The biggest problem I’ve faced is identifying where the controls are on the throttle quadrant – for example, which of the switches are for anti-ice, which is parking brake. Or when using the autopilot, what position the selector knob is – you think you’re adjusting the heading bug but in reality you’re setting vertical speed to -1200fpm…..

What is good though is if you use it for landing challenges where your need to move your hands around is limited – here, it feels really realistic, you can see easily where you’re heading and my scores seem to reflect it. On Svalbard I’m currently ranked 139th and Isafjördur 58th with scores of just over 1.6million.

EDL*, Germany

Peter wrote:

I have the new HP Reverb G2 and with the latest X-plane it is actually quite good and comfortable.

EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message