Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

NorFlyer wrote:

Talking to other guys it seems that FSX/P3D is still the #1 choice for real world pilots doing sim as a cheap way to get the procedures right.

I have been happily using X-Plane for nearly 20 years having spent the previous 15 years using FSX (and its earlier incarnations – originally SubLogic Flight Simulator). What got me hooked was that it actually feels like flying a real aircraft. Some set-up adjustment is required, it is not totally plug-and-play (but neither is FSX/P3D) – notably control feel and harmony – these are easy to do, the effort is well rewarded and it’s not something you have to do often (or more than once if you have a single aircraft type you are trying to replicate).

A good set of controls (yoke or stick, pedals and throttle) are essential for any simulator.

FSX and P3D do not have a monopoly on use as procedural trainers. I personally know the following pilots who use X-Plane to keep current… in descending order of MTOW:

• B747-400
  • B737 NG
  • King Air 200
  • Piper PA23 Aztec
  • Cirrus SR22
  • Piper P28R Arrow
  • Piper PA28 Cherokee

X-Plane 10 is fantastic as a training aid, I use it extensively for instrument flying practice. X-Plane 11 looks like it will be even better, offering finer weather control and lots of other enhancements. The native Garmin 430 implementation in X-Plane is pretty good, it even does GNSS approaches.

In the videos below, note that X-Plane 11 is not yet released. The videos show the public beta version and there are glitches that need to be fixed, but I would expect the released version will address anything serious – X-Plane has a good record in this regard.

As for using X-Plane for instrument training, here’s a video of a single engine ILS in a Baron on X-Plane 11:

(skip to 24 minutes – putting a start time in the URL breaks the link)

There is a good G1000 “simulation” which is iPad-based and connects to X-Plane (Simionic). See video below.

To show what X-Plane 11 can look like if VFR flying is your thing, here’s a demo video:

EGTT, The London FIR

Finners wrote:

n the videos below, note that X-Plane 11 is not yet released.

One can already download a beta/demo version. I tried it on my MacBook pro, it installs and runs, but the frame rate I get is in the order of one per second :-( I guess one really needs the latest in graphics and CPU capability in order to run that program smoothly.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

One can already download a beta/demo version. I tried it on my MacBook pro, it installs and runs, but the frame rate I get is in the order of one per second :-( I guess one really needs the latest in graphics and CPU capability in order to run that program smoothly.

That is unfortunately always the case with these simulators, even the best available hardware cannot run them on full settings. One has to invest a lot and even then compromise on the settings.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Talking of “amateur flight simulation software”, is there any life left in FlightGear? I hear next to nothing from that side.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Vladimir wrote:

Note that X-Plane requires one machine per screen. There are hacks for that but it is not officially supported.

It really isn’t that difficult to set up X-Plane to run multiple screens off one machine, and I’m not sure it qualifies as a hack.

RealityXP built an almost perfect copy of the real GNS430 (based on Garmin’s Home Trainer, in fact).
Not completely sure but I think that’s the one I have. If it is, it has no SIDs at all and approaches, etc. are not correct and not current. The buttons and menus don’t work as on the real device, so it can be used but it differs a lot.

That’s not the one you have then. RealityXP is a GNS430 – it’s running the actual Garmin code and is precisely the same as a real GNS navigator in every single way. You can drop the latest Jepp database cycle file into the folder and keep it right up-to-date. One issue with it is that SBAS doesn’t work outside the USA. So if you want to practice an LPV for example, you’ll need to do it in the US. With an EU database loaded, all approaches etc. work perfectly but there’s no GPS vertical guidance available.

Last Edited by stevelup at 28 Dec 13:03

Vladimir wrote:

That is unfortunately always the case with these simulators, even the best available hardware cannot run them on full settings. One has to invest a lot and even then compromise on the settings.

X-Plane 8 runs very well on my MacBook Pro. For IFR training (many years ago I used to train difficult approaches at home when I hadn’t flown them for some time) it is perfectly adequate. Realistic flight model and adequate instrument display. From looking at those videos, the main difference to version 11 are those super-photorealistic outside views and the 3D-cockpit, all of which are not required at all for IFR and also VFR navigation training.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Another option for anyone looking for an instrument procedure trainer and with absolutely no interest in “looking out of the window”, there is always the Windows only (via a VM or WINE on Mac/Linux) RANT XL by Oddsoft.

In essence, it simulates the radio navigation elements rather than the flying elements. Think of it as flying an aircraft with a basic autopilot that has heading mode and alt hold/vertical speed. You control direction by adjusting the heading bug. It has quite low system requirements; no fancy graphics cards required.

It looks rather rudimentary, but it is a good training tool. It can and should be configured to reflect the instrument panel of the aircraft you fly and in this regard there are a lot of options.

I spent hours learning NDB holds, introducing progressively stronger winds until I got so good that I found them enjoyable and was doing them with outrageous winds just for fun. That took a long time. From there, I went to X-Plane to practice the same but now with the added challenge of flying the aircraft at the same time. I didn’t have much difficulty transferring the skills to the real aircraft. I’m very pleased with how these tools helped me get qualified and help me stay current.

EGTT, The London FIR

Finners wrote:

X-Plane 10 is fantastic as a training aid, I use it extensively for instrument flying practice.

When I renewed my IR after not flying for 17 years and then having flown VFR for only one year, I practised extensively using X-plane. I flew at least 30 hours on the simulator. Then all the “prope” IR training in aircraft was done in 8 hours and I passed the flight test without any comments from the examiner. That wouldn’t have been possible without the sim practise.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks for all the great comments. Having a brand spanking new baby in the house, I will hopefully get an hour here and there for trying out sims… real flying is out of the question atm :P

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

A few months ago, I tried to find a GNS 430 module for any flight simulator that would properly emulate instrument procedures AND be updateable (e.g. from Navigraph). My search turned up nothing. Does anyone know anything?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
Sign in to add your message