Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

The yearly video from DCS is out

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks @Mooney_Driver I will take a look at that and the VR glasses on other games seem to be good.

France

gallois wrote:

Macbook Pro

Xplane is pretty difficult to get going, I’ve looked at it several times and left it. It is an expert system which needs quite a bit of background knowledge, even though this has massively improved over the last several versions.

For Mac, there is not much choice I’m afraid. You might want to have a look at Aerofly. It is a relatively new sim but is quite stunning in some regards. I’ve so far only used it on mobile devices, where imho it is the only usable sim, but I’ve seen a demo on a PC which looked quite interesting. They are also focussing hard on VR glasses and similar things.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I used various FNPT2 sims during IR training but sadly I have never managed to get a home sim to work for me. The last time I tried was to download the demo version of X plane onto my Macbook Pro with extra RAM and graphic cards etc. All I got was error messages about terrain not loaded with no suggestion of how to get round it. Gawd I hate this sort of IT it stresses me out big time. Decided, it was cheaper and more fun to fly for real even of it is in a UL.
Haven’t tried a trike or paramotor yet.

France

aart wrote:

Anyone here flown one?

Yea. It is pretty much what @greg_mp sais: A huge WTF experience, but nevertheless quite amazing. I can hugely recommend trying it (get in shape before you do though). I’d love it if gyms had one of those, that would be one reason for me to attend them more.

The feel is weird. You have to loose all pilots instincts and totally re-invent flying. But once you get the hang out of it, it’s really amazing.

Come to think of it: Here’s a couple of pics I took recently at work: not very clear I’m afraid but heavens are those birds great to watch. This is a red kite soaring on the small ledge our met station is on.

A little bit too much “wtf” for me.

LFMD, France

I did some flying in a friend’s sim with a VR set. Quite nice I must say. Then someone alerted me to this:

https://birdlyvr.com/

Of course nothing to do with piloting an aircraft, but still must be a fun experience. Anyone here flown one?

As you can see I’m starting to prepare myself for the day that some doctor takes away my medical, especially now that the Danish route has been closed off

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Thanks @dublinpilot.

We are quite pleased with the result and think it will be a great tool for our membership to enjoy.

The next step now will be to recruit some instructors who can operate the sim for those who will fly it. Also there is still quite a lot of work ahead of us.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 15 Mar 05:04

It looks amazing! You must be (and should be) very proud!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

A few pics of a short test flight today, LSZH-LSZR with go around and back to LSZH.

On the way to runway 28 in ZRH

Final 10 at LSZR

The scenery quality is quite surprising. First time today that I saw it working in daylight.

The panel is now fully operational

Final 28 in LSZH

The sim is proving much better than expected even considering that it is still running a 2 year old software rather than the very latest. The learning curve to getting to grips with the 737NG is also quite steep. But it is big fun to fly.

Bringing that sim back to live after dismantling and rebuilding it without much documentation was a huge feat. It is only since about 2 weeks now (after a full year of works) that it is running pretty reliable. Then, last week, we lost the internet connection we had (over 3G as the room has no internet itself, due to a building being raised next to the one we are in. Had to change provider, now it works again. Still lots to do, such as getting real weather going and getting a working instructor station.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 14 Mar 18:58
385 Posts
Sign in to add your message