Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do Instrument hours in the CPL course count towards the EIR?

I don’t think getting the hours is the most difficult. You could always do some sim time.
The problem is getting up to standard and completing the check ride. As Noe’s writing getting it done in minimum hours is difficult.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Ok, CBIR would be the way to go. Unfortunately I don’t have enough instrument hours to start the CBIR if i’m correct.

jkv
EHEH

You can start a CBIR with 0 instrument hours (as I did).

Somehow it seems that the “competency based” is a misnomer that leads to confusion as to what this route to the IR really means. It is just a more flexible ruleset that takes prior experience into account, but that doesn’t mean it is required to have prior instrument flying experience.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 04 Jan 22:55

I’m currently doing the CBIR as well, with no previous instruments hours before I entered into the course. However, you need 50 hours of PIC cross-country time. Before starting the course, there’s an assessment flight in order to assess your actual basic instrument flight skills, based on which you can be credited maximum 10 hours compared to the full IR (hence the 40 hours minimum).

I’m doing it at an ATO at EHLE, partly in a FNPT2 simulator, with actual flights going to to EHGG/EHRD/EHKD. The practical training at this ATO is highly recommended, very good standard in my opinion. Lelystad is a long drive from Eindhoven, but send me a PM if you need more info.

hfl
EHLE, Netherlands

@hfl THank you for sharing. I sent you a PM.

jkv
EHEH
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message