Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IMCR / IR(R) Training in a non-school / syndicate aircraft

Hi, almost two years after getting my PPL I would like to get the IR(R). I am aware there are some cost effective, concentrated, courses out there but it might suit me better to go at my own pace and book an hour or two/three a week.

My question: am I forced to do the training in a club aircraft (circa £250/hr inc instructor) or is there an option to train in a non equity share aircraft that I have access to – which, with the instructor, would be about £100 an hour less than the cost of the club aircraft = more cash for AVGAS!!

I’m assuming there is probably an insurance issue also – but that is an easy question to ask.

Does anyone know or can anyone point me at the legislation to tell me?

Thanks,

PJL
EGMD, EGKA

IR(R) is a national rating and does not require an ATO (or legacy RF) – you just need a qualified instructor who is insured to be PIC on the aircraft. I strongly recommend you get one who is capable and confident teaching in actual IMC and not reliant on foggles. Enjoy!

Now retired from forums best wishes

Ok, that sounds good. A call to the insurer then!! Even if they want an extra couple of hundred quid (unlikely?) I will still be well ahead!
Thank you.

PJL
EGMD, EGKA

You will be much much more than way ahead if you do the training in the plane you will actually fly afterwards. Probably a few k’s worth (of currency on type) ahead – unless it is identical.

IFR flight safety is very much about knowing the aircraft systems and then currency on the type.

I see you are at EGKA too

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The instructor must hold a UK issued licence, and when it comes to the IMCTest, the CAA notification procedure for the conduct of initial tests must be followed i.e. the Examiner needs CAA permission to conduct the test. The Examiner must also hold a UK issued licence.

Tumbleweed I only thought that was the case if the candidate was applying for an IR(R) rating on an Easa license.

If they hold a national UK CAA PPL and are applying for a IMC rating then they don’t need to apply for permission to test.

Bathman you are correct the IN 2016-04 refers only to the IR(R) and an EASA licence, so if you have an IFR capable Annex II aircraft you could add the IMC rating to a UK PPL. Then you notify the CAA post test.

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 12 Mar 19:49

Folks,
Thank you all for your input but I’m a bit unclear now – the complexities of EASA versus UK CAA are a bit beyond me having only been flying in the EASA era over the last three years.

So: I am flying an EASA aircraft which, as I understand it, is suitable equipped for flying with the privileges of the IMC rating (DME, VOR, ADF). I have a UK CAA issued license issued IAW Part-FCL. Do I need to worry about a FI and/or examiner having a UK issued licence/rating? The probability is that I will go to the flying club that saw me through the PPL and pay instructor fees for ‘own aircraft’ and use their recommended examiner so I would have thought they will have whatever license/rating is required. Yes?

One other query – I understand that flying schools are limited on their aircraft engine/condition but presumably similar restrictions do not apply to learning in a non-equity aircraft. At least, that’s what I hope!

Training in the aircraft I plan to fly for the future makes a lot of sense – thank you. That’s my plan. I am fortunate to have a couple of non-equity options at the moment which, although not in a aircraft type I would want to own, do give me the opportunity to keep learning and work out my ‘mission’ before jumping into an ownership share.

I am sorry if I am being dense …… seems the rules are not easy to pick apart ☺

Thank you
Phil.

PJL
EGMD, EGKA
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message