Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

License regulations and general help needed.

Hi All,

I have Just moved from the Uk to Norway, i will be out here for 1 year before returning home to bristol in the Uk, and wish to pursue my PPL license and complete from start to finish within 9 months, having already completed a few hours at bristol airport i am 100% certain this is something i must do.

My initial goal is to complete the PPL with the Necessary add-ons such as night flying... and purchase a small aircraft on completion ( piper warrior perhaps?), and use this to fly between manchester, London, bristol.... for work. ( i work all over the country and if i can get off the motorways i will)

My overall goal is to progress onto a more complex license to enable me to fly a bigger, faster aircraft (maybe turbine engine?)that is capable of higher altitude and not completely weather dependant like the single engine prop plane. And then Purchase this type of aircraft and potentially use this as a form of income.

so my questions are as follows:

Firstly:Is any of the above unreasonable ? or unrealistic? ( i have a decent income and am aware of the costs) Secondly:If license is completed in Norway will i be able to fly within Uk and Europe? without restrictions? Thirdly: Please point out any guidance you may feel is helpful to me........ (i find the world of piloting overwhelming), theirs seem endless rules, regulations and authorities in place..... I really need some help !

perhaps some one wouldf write me a suggested step by step guide of how to achieve the above...?

Thank you people in advance, i would really appreciate it, if some one would be kind enough to spare me 5 minutes and offer some valuable information.

bristol, oslo

Welcome to the world of aviation!

Others here will surely chime in, but I'll give it a go:

1) License - Norway is part of EASA (list of countries here), so that's taken care of. You'll have an EASA PPL, valid everywhere in wonderful Euroland and adjacent territories

2) Airplane: a PA28 is certainly a decent entry-level machine, although in VFR mode of only very limited use in the UK - the mix of weather and totally anal airspace organization makes it difficult to use on a need-to-be-there basis. In any case, get-there-itis is a prime reason for accidents in light a/c. That said, I of course don't know how flexible your work is.

3) The above means you'll need an IMC rating (doubtful you'll make this, time is not on your side - it's gonna vanish from next year on, barring some last-minute miracle) or get the new EASA IR in whatever guise this finally comes along

4) Turbine aircraft: hmmmmmm - have a look at prices and running costs - 'nuff said (then again, you may just be a gazillionaire - if so, good on 'ya!)

5) Using this as form of income: you'll need a CPL and if doing charter work an AOC. Others here will tell you what that entails.

So - get your license, enjoy flying (it's a drug - just ask anyone on this forum!), but don't count on it as a useful tool for your work, at least not in the UK. Occasionally it'll work out, with luck even quite often, but don't think you can rely on it.

I think those are all very achievable goals (IMC being the one be thing you will struggle with). A PA-28 is fine but given your ambitions you may become bored of it soon if your training progresses - it is more a training aircraft in my view.

As a plan, don't worry too much. Take some lessons, get a medical and go solo in something small. The regs etc look after themselves.

It is way too early to worry about turbines etc.

EGTK Oxford

A PA-28 is fine but given your ambitions you may become bored of it soon if your training progresses - it is more a training aircraft in my view.

The PA28 covers a wide range of aircraft from the PA-28-140 to the PA-28-235 Cherokee Charger with 235hp and of course the Turbo Arrow. I wouldn't say it's a training aircraft, it can be rather capable.

Hi 172 driver,

Thank you for you reply its very much appreciated.

1) Thanks thats makes life easier... what is "JAR" some one has mentioned this to me before, is it a separate regulatory body, that i need to know about?

2) is PA28 a generic term for a single prop aircraft like the piper warrior? what is VFR ? my work is flexible as I'm self employed so i could fly anytime through the night for example if that made it more possible. Is their any plane you know of that is safe/granted permission to fly in rain/wind. or is it a restriction purely based on the license held?

3) ok- aslong as i know their is some way forwad, i will cross that bridge when i get to it.

4) whats a better alternative to a turbine aircraft, a double prop plane perhaps? im not a gazillionaire but i do take home about 15k per month of which 12k is disposable income.

5) brilliant- will again cross that bridge as and when...

And thanks again- what a star, cheers mate.

bristol, oslo

jasonc/achimha,

Cheers,

So potentially once i complete the license, i could fly the turbo arrow?

bristol, oslo

I wouldn't say it's a training aircraft, it can be rather capable.

Yes OK you are right. But he mentioned a Warrior which is the aircraft my comment was directed at.

EGTK Oxford

Yes OK you are right. But he mentioned a Warrior which is the aircraft my comment was directed at.

Same here

ok gents brilliant . thanks

bristol, oslo

1) Thanks thats makes life easier... what is "JAR" some one has mentioned this to me before, is it a separate regulatory body, that i need to know about?

I'll try to make this simple: JAR / JAA was the overarching body that loosely covered European aviation until recently. The local CAAs had a relatively large wiggle room under this umbrella. This has now been replaced by EASA, which is the new governing body of aviation in the EU and assorted neighbouring countries (e.g. Norway) that have signed up to it. No more - or at least very much restricted - wiggle room for the local CAAs, e.g. the UK CAA, hence the imminent demise of the IMC rating.

32 Posts
Sign in to add your message