Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

To CPL or not?

A sincere recommendation: if you want to fly airplanes for a living consider yourself very lucky to be able to do that in the US. There is no better place to be a pilot.
Happy to share more if you PM me.

always learning
LO__, Austria

it always seemed to me that it’s for pilots with very high experience and checked out in many, many different types. Is it really a practical way of time building? I do love spontaneity and long trips…

You do need experience to do long ferry trips (or any other long distance flying, if done to some schedule) and you need to be well organised to make money because the business is relatively competitive (and with some cowboys in it, quoting unrealistically low prices, with not a few resulting scandals )

You also get to fly some real dogs, and the experienced ferry pilots have ways to avoid those. For example one pilot I know will not do a pickup on the US east coast because you end up flying some unknown plane straight out over the Atlantic. He will do a pickup a long way inland so he can see what it goes like (and oil burn etc) for a number of hours, over land.

Most ferry pilots tell great stories, especially when it comes to ferry jobs to/from Africa

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just my humble 2 cents:
I´ll be 41 this year and just completed my CPL with ATPL theory in January. Last week I signed with a small regional airline and I´ll be flying twin turboprops. It´s doable, but it´s a lot of tough decisions “just” because of the sake of flying. At least it was for me. I´ve never been happier though.

LEBL, Spain

Congrats Alex! Which type?

always learning
LO__, Austria

At 32 the only things you are too old for are wearing nappies and losing your virginity!

Forever learning
EGTB

Living with your mum is also deeply suspicious The supporting evidence for this, I am told by the local firearms inspector, is that the guys who did UK’s 2 mass shootings both still lived with their mums

Congratulations Alex!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Snoopy: It’s going to be a BAe Jetstream.

LEBL, Spain

Congrats Alex, that makes me jealous!

I don’t tick any of the above boxes for age reference, so I guess I’m doing ok :) However, maybe 32 is a bit too old to be living paycheck to paycheck… paying for my training is the next thing I really need to think about. How did you guys do it?

MO
Austria

@MO I had the advantage to spread the cost over several years. I already had an FI- and SE-IR rating. Therefore I needed no hour building or full IR-course. I „only“ had to pay for ME- and CPL and went to a less expensive school. Stayed at my office job until I had the theory done (studying at night after work sucks) then quit and went all in to get the flying done ASAP.

BTW: It helps when the missus is a PPL as well and understands her other half‘s crazy life changing plans.

LEBL, Spain

Hey,

At the moment the airlines are going crazy for pilots. I finished my modular training with 450 hours TT in October 2017 and had a job offer to fly an A320 in December (airline sponsored Type Rating). I started flying in 2009 and i’ve never seen it this good. I don’t know many people who have qualified in the last 12 months who don’t have a job.

London Area
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message