Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR currency

I got my FAA IR end of Jan this year in FL. But due to circumstances, I got no opportunity to fly IFR in the meantime. To ensure currency, I need to do 6 approaches. I am in Belgium till the end of the month (living in Ukraine) and I am looking for options how to realise that. I did my IR in a 172 with Garmin 1000. So if someone knows a N registered 172 with Garmin 1000 for rent or even better a N certified simulator in Western Europe, I would be happy to hear from you.

Thanks, Jacques


You will need to do an IPC with a CFII. Since your currency has lapsed for so long, you can't just do 6 approaches (plusm holdings and intercepting tracking exercises btw) with a safety pilot.

Mainz (EDFZ), Germany

Sorry, it was end of Jan this year :-) Seems like time is flying too fast!


So, in that case you can either do the 6 approaches under simulated IFR with a safety pilot) or (as you are still current) you can do them alone, but then you would have to do the approaches under IFR (no simulated IFR without a safety pilot).

Mainz (EDFZ), Germany

You don't need to do the approaches in an N-reg.

To maintain the FAA IR 6/6 rolling currency, you could do it in a Mongolian registered Cessna 150 in the Galapagos Islands (assuming there is an airport there with an instrument approach).

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sur, you are right. But he needs an N-reg. if he wants to fly as PIC. Do you want to?

Mainz (EDFZ), Germany

So it seems that if I do 6 approaches including holding intercept and tracking in an airplane or certified simulator, I am good to go. No need to be FAA registered.

So I am looking for a certified simulator with a Garmin 1000 layout in or near Belgium. Do someone knows where I can find that?

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top