Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ME/IR and SE/IR

When I was looking at doing the JAA IR in Greece in 2011, I would have come out with

SE PPL
SE IR
ME PPL
ME IR

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

….and a strong sense of being taken to the cleaners!

@Peter

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 18 May 07:44

Väldigt moget @AdamFrisch

ESME, ESMS

Tror du Adam läser Svenska Dimme?

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Det gör han visst

ESME, ESMS

@Peter feel free to clean this little side-thread.

ESME, ESMS

Krister_L wrote:

Tror du Adam läser Svenska Dimme?

Helt säkert!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hello guys,

Quick rookie question. I see a lot in USA guys finishing PPL and after just doing an IR with SEP . However I see that in Europe most of the school offer the course MEP/IR however not SEP/IR.

My question, in the eyes of EASA is it possible to have a PPL license attached with an IR to allow flying IFR in IMC?

If yes, do you know any schools?

Thanks

Portugal

is it possible to have a PPL license attached with an IR

Yes; a single engine EASA SE PPL/IR route is no problem in Europe. The ME CPL/IR is much more commonly done because that is the airline pilot route (with the 14 exams it is called a “frozen ATPL”) but a certain number of private pilots do a PPL and the SE IR. This number is always relatively small mainly because you need access to a suitable aircraft (performance and equipment), as well as having more money Since the big airline pilot schools cater mostly for the CPL/IR, most of these people do a “custom” route, doing the PPL in the usual way, then getting some hours by flying around, then doing the 7 IR exams (this is nowadays called the CB IR route, and is slightly less work than the old JAA/EASA IR which e.g. I wrote about here) and then they go to some establishment which does suitable IR flight training. Many previous threads here on this topic but feel free to ask for suggestions. The options are country dependent, especially as many of the people do it in their own plane.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hello Peter,

Thanks a lot for the clarifying answer! But from what I saw, to have the MEP/IR done you need to do the ATPL theory (14 exams as you mention) so if you just want to fly leisure, why don’t more people do this? Question of money or availability of the school that does this PPL+IR course?

Also imagining that in 5 years I want to go modular for complete fATPl, do I need to do everything as if I was starting from 0? Meaning that the money that I will pay for the SEP/IR will not be “recoverable”…

Btw I hold a PPL + NVFR rating in Switzerland…

Thanks.

Portugal
Sign in to add your message