Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mental fatigue limiting endurance

Peter wrote:

(buy the Bose A20; nothing comes close)

Don’t trust these absolute statements. Good ANR headsets are too close together to make such a statement remotely sensible. The comfort of wearing the headset is much more important than the last 2% of noise cancelling anyway. For example, I can’t stand the A20 for even a traffic circuit. It doesn’t fit and sounds strange to my ears. I’d rather fly without (and have done so). I am utmost happy with the Phonak Freecom (the noise damping is measurably better than the A20, but I have it mainly for comfort with my glasses). Bottom line: Try what fit’s your head and ears. Nothing else would do.

To the topic, What is your goal? Get somewhere? Be in the air? Experience land and people? If you want to get somewhere, long flights are okay, if you can refresh at your destination and then have some time there. If you like to just be in the air, cockpit → dinner → hotel sounds pretty perfect. And if you want to visit places, you need to take your time to actually visit the places. 3 hours flying seems enough for one leg / day, to make a flying holiday. Perhaps two of those legs to get into the area you want to visit, but after that, take it easy and enjoy the holidays. After all, holiday is to get some recreation.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Make sure you’re properly hydrated. The sun and heat can really do you in. Are these trips in a bubble canopy Diamond? My first Rallye was all plexi up top. I find my current plane (with metal section in the canopy above my head) much more comfortable.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 08 Jun 18:36
Tököl LHTL

Jujupilote wrote:

In fact, I have a Lightspeed Sierra and I never felt a big difference between ANR on and ANR off, which tells you about its quality.

In that case there must be something wrong with your headset. I also have a Lightspeed Sierra and there is no mistaking if ANR is off.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I never felt a big difference between ANR on and ANR off, which tells you about its quality.

That used to be a typical property of the older headsets, which achieved a good passive ANR by clamping your head hard.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Update :
- I tried a friend’s A20 during a 1-hour flight. It felt better than my Sierra but not much.
- I will send my Sierra for repair next autumn. There is still a service center in Germany. I even found the receipt from 2014 !
- I flew 5 hrs last Saturday, 4 of them PIC. I was definitely tired at the end of the day but I guess it’s good practice
- I almost solely fly F172 from the 70s. I tend to maintain higher RPMs (over 2500) than before to keep a decent speed (100 kts). It definitely increases the noise level. At 2400 RPM, sound is much lower and below 2300, I don’t hear it any more.

So either my headset has an issue (less and less likely), either my ears don"t like this kind of ANR (Lighspeed and Bose).

Next trip should be in a DA40-180. I will cruise it at 2200 RPM and will report the difference.

LFOU, France

Heat and bright sunlight does it to me more than the hand flying (don’t have an autopilot). I agree on ANR (use a Bose A20).

Make sure to stay hydrated, but do it without needing to pee!

Whoops, how do I delete post? Said it all before!

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 10 Aug 02:31
Tököl LHTL

Jujupilote wrote:

I will try an A20, but I am not sure it is a worthy investment to fly 50hrs/year

If you fly 50 hours per year I would definitely think an upgrade to the best headset you can find is worth the efforts. Lightspeed has an trade-in option for the new Zulu3 here, so going from Sierra to Zulu is not quite as expensive.

I personally prefer Zulu over A20. ANR is probably the same but I find them much more comfortable to wear – especially for extended periods of time.

Last Edited by mmgreve at 10 Aug 06:58
EGTR

I think headset quality is a critical factor on long flights. R/T is stressful and you need a good headset, radio and audio panel. Newer models are all pretty good. I like the Lightspeed Zulu and just traded in my old one for the Zulu3. It doesn’t sound any better, but is a bit more comfortable with larger ear cups and most importantly if you rent has woven Kevlar-sheathed cables, a weak point on the old model. They are also easier to fit into the case. I have used the Zulu on transatlantic flights in A340s and found it cut out nearly all the engine noise and could be worn the whole flight without head clamping.
By the way if you do trade in your Zulu, Lightspeed put the full price on the commercial invoice, presumably for insurance reasons, and so you will pay more tax than you should. Best to pick a set up when Stateside or find a friend willing to post as a gift.
Without a copilot an autopilot is nice as you can eat and drink without changing course or altitude. It is tiring to be hungry and thirsty.

Simon

Jujupilote wrote:

Update :
- I flew 5 hrs last Saturday, 4 of them PIC. I was definitely tired at the end of the day but I guess it’s good practice
- I almost solely fly F172 from the 70s. I tend to maintain higher RPMs (over 2500) than before to keep a decent speed (100 kts). It definitely increases the noise level. At 2400 RPM, sound is much lower and below 2300, I don’t hear it any more.
Next trip should be in a DA40-180. I will cruise it at 2200 RPM and will report the difference

I am definitely on the same path, I flew a C172P with extended tanks for more than 4 hours and a lot of fatigue starts to creep in:
- I found it useful to fly slow at 90kts-100kts on low rpm 2300 with less noise and just enjoy it all the way by keeping it busy: simulate diversions, find crash fields, getting pax to help with avionics and navigation (also cost me less per hour as I rent on taco hours)
- Once landed, I need a run or swim once landed to keep underline high then do something not aviation related (e.g. stop checking/stressing weather) until 2 days before the trip back, otherwise you just fall like a leaf
- Now, I don’t get any pleasure flying more than 2h without an AP, especially in bumpy conditions (I have access to two C172s: one with AP but slow, the other one with spats but no AP, I go for the slow one anytime)
- As others mentioned, 3h at FL85 without Oxygen you may get a headache next day and some blurry vision…

Did more than 6h in gliders with hot thermals/cold waves, still don’t get the same fatigue as 3h in C172 with 2500rpm, so I think most of the fatigue is RT and engine noise related….for headsets two things matters: quality of sound you hear and your head geometry, both are personal so find the best one for you, an A20 or something similar will really help

Also switching to DA40, my pax no longer finds C172 high wings attractive (think a hit in the head with flaps down) and for comfort you need to sit on something not hanged all the way , so let us know how it goes !

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Aug 09:01
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

and for comfort you need to sit on something not hanged all the way

A slightly inflated swimming ring is kind to the backside.

Simon

Sign in to add your message