Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Books for getting up to speed on EASA

A Jeppesen sales rep told me only theirs and newly released Foreflight Europe was approved, but a sales rep would say that, I suppose.

Yes; it is a really interesting “marketing concept”

There are cases where only a specific EFB (a tablet with aviation software) is approved by a national CAA for a particular AOC (paying passenger carriage, broadly speaking) operation. Typically these are Ipads which have been locked down so they can’t be used for downloading p0rn But for GA this is nonsense.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Schjetne wrote:

Though I tried doing my weight and balance on a PDA, but was told I’d never pass a ramp check with it. That’s something I have trouble actually finding official sources for, what hardware and software combinations are approved as replacements, and what are only to be treated as supplements. A Jeppesen sales rep told me only theirs and newly released Foreflight Europe was approved, but a sales rep would say that, I suppose.

For private flights, there is no requirement whatsoever on using “approved” software or hardware, “official” charts etc. The regulations only say that any chart used should be “current” and “suitable” (NCO.GEN.135(a)(10)) and that if you are relying on electronics then “accessibility, usability and reliability” must be assured (GM1 to NCO.GEN.135) — but it’s up to you how to achieve that.

The exception is that if you use an electronic device with a navigation database as the “primary means of navigation”, then the database has to satisfy certain standards (NCO.IDA.A.205). As far as I can see, this only affects IFR flights using panel-mount GPS navigators for performance-based navigation (PBN).

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Jul 09:14
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I would just start flying as you used to. Paper maps works today also. You obviously need some instructions to get your ratings back anyway. SERA and Part NCO is needed knowledge though. These moving map software are easy to learn and easy to use. They make flying easier, not necessarily more fun or rewarding.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message