Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass cockpit vs steam gauges for low time PPL (and getting into a fast aircraft early on)

You do need to be a better pilot to fly an SR22 with the same level of safety as a C182.

For a start, it stalls much more sharply and tends to drop a wing fast. I recently met up with one of the occupants of this.

But you will get there, unless “you” are a bit inept or don’t put in the time / get the proper training – sorry to say it that way but that is the bottom line for many.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aviathor wrote:

If you do buy a Cirrus, do not go for anything older than a G3. But make sure if was flown by somebody who understands engines and did not just slam the throttle into the firewall and leaned using “Lean Assist”. The way the Cirrus power lever works is that until a detent, advancing the power lever just increases MP and the RPM remains at or below 2500. Beyond that detent, the RPM will rise to 2650 or whatever max RPM is, over a very short travel of the lever. When a SR22 takes off, you will often hear the prop governor at work as the power lever goes past the detent. And that cannot be good for the engine. A little while ago I talked to a mechanic who told me he saw a lot og Cirrus engines with trashed crankshaft bearing, and he attributes that to this particular design feature.
I don’t understand why this is bad for the engine. Could you elaborate? And what’s wrong with “Lean Assist”?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Valentin wrote:

To me, it seems to be not too safe to be operated by a novice pilot.

There is a lot of crap that has been written about the Cirrus safety. I think that a lot of Cirrus pilots also revel in maintaining the impression that they are hot stuff because they are flying such a “hot” airplane. Cirrus and their Cirrus Certified Training Centers and instructors have made a lot of money around the initially abysmal safety record of the SR22. The fact is that it is a single-engine piston, and it remains an airplane. An airplane will fall out of the sky if you bank it too much below a certain speed, and at low altitude, that is bad news. But so will a C182.

A well-trained pilot who understands the flight envelope and resists the urge to bank harder during an overshoot, who is able to stay ahead of the aircraft (speed related), who is able to control speed accurately on final, will not have any problems flying a SR22 safely.

Valentin wrote:

When I merely compare stall speeds of C182 (35 kt / 42 kt) and SR22 (59 kt / 70 kt), SR22 seems to be much less safe!

That is a very valid point. The higher the stall speed, the more energy you will need to dissipate during an emergency landing. But then you have the parachute which is looked upon as the panacea by some.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 29 Jul 20:26
LFPT, LFPN

Valentin wrote:

When I merely compare stall speeds of C182 (35 kt / 42 kt) and SR22 (59 kt / 70 kt), SR22 seems to be much less safe!

Stall speed has little to do with safety. You will need more training to fly a Cirrus vs a C182 but but it is not that difficult. To me based on all you have said it is the best compromise of performance vs difficulty. I think you will find a C182 too limiting very quickly.

Last Edited by JasonC at 29 Jul 20:51
EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Stall speed has nothing to do with safety
Until you have an engine out and have to land off-airport.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

JasonC wrote:

I think you will find a C182 too limiting very quickly.

Not if you get a C182RG. All the advantages of a C182, but about 15-20 kts faster, and I speak from practical experience here, not book figures. Have a BRS retrofitted and you’ve got a reasonably fast flying SUV.

Also, I have a feeling you’re underestimating the importance of keeping your family happy. I bet all of us here know one or several pilots who gave up flying because the other half objected. Being able to take the family on trips is a massive game changer. Which, btw, is another argument for a Cessna – you don’t have to clamber over wings to get into the thing, you just step in. May sound trivial, but believe me, it’s not.

Remember: wife happy – life happy !

tschnell wrote:

Until you have an engine out and have to land off-airport.

Yes, that is very common with modern aircraft. We should all fly Piper Cubs.

Last Edited by JasonC at 29 Jul 22:24
EGTK Oxford

172driver wrote:

Also, I have a feeling you’re underestimating the importance of keeping your family happy.

I agree that this is very important. It can make the difference between a hobby and a great family activity which means more utility and more flying.

Last Edited by JasonC at 29 Jul 22:26
EGTK Oxford

I think a Cessna, Piper or Diamond is nicer and easier to handfly than a Cirrus. Diamond Diesels are quiet on top.
http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/cirrus-sr20

Then again Jason as one of the few here flying in a big turbine might be best qualified to offer suggestions to you. Jason: Would be interesting which steps you would do differently looking back – from basic training to flying the Jet?

always learning
LO__, Austria

172driver wrote:

Not if you get a C182RG. All the advantages of a C182, but about 15-20 kts faster, and I speak from practical experience here, not book figures. Have a BRS retrofitted and you’ve got a reasonably fast flying SUV.

Unfortunately, their production ended in 1986. I would prefer a newer aircraft – less than 10 years old, 20 at most.

LCPH, Cyprus
Sign in to add your message