Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass cockpit vs steam gauges for low time PPL (and getting into a fast aircraft early on)

JasonC wrote:

That is good advice.

I reiterate again, with this kind of money involved, either go the DA40 and turbine route or get a 62 and stick with it.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I am amazed how expensive used DA40s still are, the cheapest I found on planecheck was a 2003 one advertised for 250k€. Is it because it’s one of the few designs dating from this millennium?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

loco wrote:

I understand that would be a new Cirrus. 800k-ish?

G5 or G6. A new one is not an option – it will be delivered in June 2019 if I order one.

loco wrote:

If I were fresh PPL, I’d get a used DA40, fly up to 200h, sell it, get a used Jetprop and be in a different class for same money.

But why not buy SR22, fly up to 200h (or whatever else), sell it and get a Jetprop? Is there any reason to prefer DA40 over SR22?

LCPH, Cyprus

LeSving wrote:

Substantially more payload when MTOW is 1999 kg, also cheaper I guess.

MTOW 1999kg is not possible for DA-62 in my case. Aircondition is a must have in Cyprus with this kind of cockpit, and they said it was not possible to have 1999 MTOW with it.

LCPH, Cyprus

What is funny for me is that I opened this thread thinking to buy a C182. People started to convince me to buy a Cirrus. I tried to resist but promised to try it. I tried it and realised that there is no reason not to prefer it. People started to convince me not to buy a Cirrus.

LCPH, Cyprus

But why not buy SR22, fly up to 200h (or whatever else), sell it and get a Jetprop? Is there any reason to prefer DA40 over SR22?

Cost. If that doesn’t matter, go for it.

Do not underestimate the need for local maintenance. If whatever you buy cannot be fixed locally, you will have trouble. Having said that – your local maintenance shop presumably can work on an SR22, it is a simple single engine aircraft with a classic engine. There are only two things to watch out for: (1) can they support a G1000? and (2) can they do composite repairs.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 07 Sep 08:27
Biggin Hill

Valentin wrote:

I guess the reason is mainly price gap, on avionics side, both can have G1000 thingy around, so flying-wise not much of difference really which one you choose to step to a Jetprop, but while both are easy to fly you may need more speed discipline on a DA40 so there is a learning that goes with, the rule of thumb, if the main use is learning/building hours, just look around what top tier schools use for their students

I tried the two recently as I am fed-up with PA28s/C172s after PPL and I know which one I would like to fly for the next 500h

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I would be in the 182 camp over the SR22 except we’re talking about basing in Cyprus. If I lived there, I might even consider a Cirrus.

Tököl LHTL

Is there andybody else besides me that has a bad feeling pairing low time pilots with a Cirrus? I will think about it and try to formulate some points – there is just something about the Cirrus that I don’t like.
I’m not a hightimer in the sr20/22 but I think the DA40NG is a much easier, forgiving and well rounded plane.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Ibra wrote:

you may need more speed discipline on a DA40

In the DA40 you can fly without any numbers…it will softly tap on your shoulders and say „i can still fly but please add some power and lower the nose..“

Do that in a cirrus and you will be hit with a sledgehammer.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message