Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Starting PPL navigation

Flying slower gives you more time to think.

There are 60 minutes in every hour and 60 seconds in every minute no matter what speed you are doing! Flying slower may let you see more, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with how much you think!

Disagree. Going slower literally allows for more decision making time.

EFHF

Thanks for the tips. Very helpful. In fact they were so good that yesterday the instructor was happy to let me go solo for a quick rejoin (after loads of cancellations due to bad visibility/low cloud)! Instructor also told me I'm ready to go out by myself a bit further so maybe this weekend...

I quite like the 'funnel' method suggested by lenthamen. Railroads are very easy to spot and use to navigate. One other tip suggested by another student is to use gefs-online.com. It's an google maps flight simulator. I would create my plog according to trip and wind. I would then simulate it with the autopilot by entering the calculated headings/speed/alt. I think it helps getting used to the ground features and corrections calculations.

This cross country business is quite fun! Much more interesting than going round (rectangular?) in circuits!

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message