Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bushpilot Bible?

Morning,

In preperation for our flight to Africa I am looking for books describing the challenges (and techniques, solutions) of flying down there.

Which books do you suggest?

I already found CC Pocock’s Bush & Mountain Flying Handbook, however, I am more interested in the specialities of flying in African bush, than in US, Alaska (hot &high, landing, taking-off techniques of dirt Strips, desert/bush navigation, securing aircraft against elephants, wild cats, forced landing techniques in the wilderness and so on).

Any recemmondations?

Thx

I think @aeroplus knows about this…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Get it in your instruction package for your license validation.
I got a description of the local specificities during the 3-4h of ground training, and then after validation we did a tour of local fields to try all techniques.

ESMK, Sweden

Where in Africa will you be flying? IME (as pilot in southern Africa, as pax on light a/c pretty much anywhere) it’s mainly the logistics that are difficult to deal with, at least sometimes.

it’s mainly the logistics that are difficult to deal with, at least sometimes.

I would think so too. The main problem with any wilderness, or places with low density of people, is the low density of people. High density of unhelpful or hostile people is not good either

Either way, it’s all the small little practicalities that suddenly become big problems.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

From my really short period of flying in Namibia, I’d say the thermals were rather surprising. In a small SEP I was hitting 1000fpm with the engine at idle.
It was rather unpleasant for passengers for sure.

Like anywhere hot, flying before noon is recommended, and usually the best experience.

Other than that, just have contacts on the ground for countries with questionable politics. Africa runs on relationships, and it is usually cheaper to make them before you go than it is while you’re there, if you know what I mean…

I wrote a Kindle e-book about all the peculiarities of flying through Africa, which I update regularly and should give you all you need to know about it. You can find it here: http://a.co/d/0qVhwJL

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 17 Sep 10:28
EDLE, Netherlands

QuoteI already found CC Pocock’s Bush & Mountain Flying Handbook, however, I am more interested in the specialities of flying in African bush, than in US, Alaska (hot &high, landing, taking-off techniques of dirt Strips, desert/bush navigation, securing aircraft against elephants, wild cats, forced landing techniques in the wilderness and so on).

CC Pocock is from South Africa (so am I) and have a wealth of bush and mountain flying experience in Southern Africa but also elsewhere.
His first book and also the second volume is ideal for Africa bush flying.
It is not aimed at USA or Alaska.

CC is currently more in USA (now based there) but still present his training in SA on occasion.
I know he gave training in Ireland in I think 2014 and also in the east ie Thailand if not mistaken.

I did his training with him in 2012 and can highly recommend him.

https://www.facebook.com/cc.pocock
https://www.facebook.com/BushAir.Aviation/?timeline_context_item_type=intro_card_work&timeline_context_item_source=534379936&fref=tag

Wonderboom, South Africa
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message