Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA CPL/IR -> FAA CPL/IR conversion

I’m looking to convert my EASA CPL/IR to a FAA CPL/IR.
I’ve been looking online here on this forum and other places to get an idea what is expected.
So far I understand the process includes the following:

1. - PPL Piggy back license based on FAR 61.75
  2. - Sit 2 written exams, 1 IR and 1 CPL in the US (this can’t be done in Europe anymore I understand?)
  3. - Join a flight school in the US and train up to standard for IR
  4. - Do a IR flight test
  5. - Continue training for CPL
  6. - Do a CPL flight test

Can someone with experience comment if this is how the process works?
My question is, are there any minimum required hours for the training to be done for IR and CPL standard? Or just until I reach proficiency for the flight tests?
Any other comments references to FAR’s or experiences are appreciated!

Thanks heaps!

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

I am in the process of this currently, albeit I will probably go for the FAA ATP Single engine. Shoot me a PM and I’ll try and clear up as much as I can. From time to time I’m also reconfused though ;)
You will need TSA approval for this, and possibly a visa for flight training, even though generally a “training visa” is not required for a license conversion.
First find a flight school (preferably one near a FAA FSDO).
Second fill in the FAA verification form and use the FSDO close to the flight school – > see here https://www.euroga.org/forums/easa-to-faa-diary/9598?page=1
The flight school will register you as their student.
Third get TSA fingerprinting and approval done (required because it is your first US certificate).
Fourth step is to get your EASA CPL validated into a FAA private certificate – > in your case you get have privileges for FAA private ASEL AMEL.
In this case you can act as PIC when preparing for the FAA CPL practical exam, important as without this you get actual instruction by a CFI and for that you’d need a visa.
In the other case, when you are pic, you could still fly with a CFI and prepare, but legally it would not be flight training… more like refinement ;)

All the prerequisites for certificates and ratings are listed in the cfr (Code of regulations) far (federal aviation regulations).
E.g. for CPL in 14 CFR 61.129
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.129

§ 61.129 Aeronautical experience.
(a)For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes.

(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least -

(i) 50 hours in airplanes; and

(ii) 50 hours in cross-country flight of which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes.

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in § 61.127(b)(1) of this part that includes at least -

(i) Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. Five hours of the 10 hours required on instrument training must be in a single engine airplane;

(ii) 10 hours of training in an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller, or is turbine-powered, or for an applicant seeking a single-engine seaplane rating, 10 hours of training in a seaplane that has flaps and a controllable pitch propeller;

(iii) One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in daytime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

(iv) One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in nighttime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(v) Three hours in a single-engine airplane with an authorized instructor in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.

(4) Ten hours of solo flight time in a single engine airplane or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a single engine airplane with an authorized instructor on board (either of which may be credited towards the flight time requirement under paragraph (a)(2) of this section), on the areas of operation listed under § 61.127(b)(1) that include -

(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles; and

(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

(b)For an airplane multiengine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and multiengine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes.

(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least -

(i) 50 hours in airplanes; and

(ii) 50 hours in cross-country flight of which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes.

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in § 61.127(b)(2) of this part that includes at least -

(i) Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. Five hours of the 10 hours required on instrument training must be in a multiengine airplane;

(ii) 10 hours of training in a multiengine airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and controllable pitch propellers, or is turbine-powered, or for an applicant seeking a multiengine seaplane rating, 10 hours of training in a multiengine seaplane that has flaps and a controllable pitch propeller;

(iii) One 2-hour cross country flight in a multiengine airplane in daytime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

(iv) One 2-hour cross country flight in a multiengine airplane in nighttime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(v) Three hours in a multiengine airplane with an authorized instructor in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.

(4) 10 hours of solo flight time in a multiengine airplane or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a multiengine airplane with an authorized instructor (either of which may be credited towards the flight time requirement in paragraph (b)(2) of this section), on the areas of operation listed in § 61.127(b)(2) of this part that includes at least -

(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles; and

(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight with a traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.
always learning
LO__, Austria

Also note 14 CFR 61.39(e)(1).

London, United Kingdom

@Snoopy, that’s real useful information! Thanks a lot. I also must have missed the other thread you started, lots of info there as well.

@Qalupalik, thanks that’s also good to know.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

I originally had a US PPL but still needed fingerprints as it was a commercial conversion, but no visa. ATP was the school I used in Jacksonville, and if you have the hours I also recommend an SEL ATPL as it is only (1) ATP written (2) about five hours dual and the checkride. You then have both your IR and ATP. I also held a Multi Engine ATP, but the SEL ATP five hours prep is standalone. The SEL ATP doesn’t include low level co ordination manoeuvres as in the CPL, but does include fairly extensive limited panel work: slow flight, climbing and descending near the stall, limited panel non precision approach, visual circle to land, performance glide approach landing within 200 feet of landing threshold, plus the usual components of an IR check-ride. Around two hours flying. ATC in Jacksonville is mainly military, and my examiner was ex Apache helicopter pilot.

ATP were very straightforward and good value, I budgeted a week but it only took three days.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@RobertL18C
Interesting thanks. Just for curiosity when did you do this?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Is this not applicable today?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@peter
If you mean the requirement for CTP course for FAA ATP ME, yes it is. You need the CTP for ATP multi. For ATP single no CTP required.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The CTP course required before taking the ATP-ME written is a pain and in my view achieves very little. Beware that the ATP written is getting a lot harder. I highly recommend sheppardair.com for question bank study for it. It got me through.

But in spite of the tax that the CTP course is, the FAA is still a far more efficient route for an ME ATP then EASA.

Last Edited by JasonC at 09 Oct 10:11
EGTK Oxford

@jasonc
Thanks, so sheppard is the way to go? There is also a prep from dauntless soft…

always learning
LO__, Austria
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message