Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Suddenly no satellites on Garmin GNS

The circle of display of my GNS showed still satellites but the bars were not
filled out. No satellites no procedures etc.
It was not the antenna, it was the RG 58 cable. I removed the old cable and everything was fine. In order to prevent similar malfunctions I have removed
the VHF cable of the GNS too all with BNS connectors. But to change the cable at the KX 165 radio I need a special connector or adapter.
Can someone help or has an idea.

Thomas

Berlin, Germany

I run a professional video studio with hundreds of BNC connectors and miles of coax cable. I have found that coating each connector with a liberal amount of Corrosion-X helps tremedously with reliability and signal integrity. I also apply it to the potmeters of my analog autopilot. The cable itself is unlikely to go bad unless it was damaged.

EBKT

Look here and search for “this item might help”. Maybe that is the part?

@wigglyamp should know but I am not sure if he still posts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Dirkdj,
A cable is a complex element consists with capacitance , inductance and resistance.
The characteristic impedance " Z " is that what we need – OHM.
In the years altered the dielectric material and so the capacity. The cable get moving standing wave ration and so no constant impedance. In this case you can believe me
I had cut the cable end and mounted a new BNS connector, it was the cable.
Thomas

Berlin, Germany

Hi Peter,
thanks for your tip. This is the adapter which I was looking:

BNC TRAY ADAPTER W/ SNAP RING (DBA-600)

Thomas

Berlin, Germany

I suppose the cable in an aircraft has a harder life than in an air-conditioned conditioned studio. Corrosion-x is still a good preventive measure.

EBKT
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message