Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Summer trip Portugal - Normandia - UK - Scotland - Ireland

I am aware how in advance I am looking into it, first because I am looking forward to it, second, despite I recently number of trips, I have to confess that France and England airspace quite scare me a bit. Due to professional constraints I am still in process to complete the ATPL theory (hopefully September) so all trip is VFR and with the possibility to use the NF rating.

I am planning to travel with family for almost 2 weeks, short legs (bladder legs) around the countries above mentioned. So far, the selected airfields / legs are the following:
LPSO – LFBP
LFBP – LFAC (quite twisted route around C and D airspace and restricted areas)
LFAC – EGDM
EGDM – EGNR
EGNR – EGPH
EGPH – EGPE
EGPE – EGNS
EGNS – EIME
EIME – EGJJ
EGLL – LFBT (again full of restriction along the shore line)
LFBT – LPSO

This will be my first family trip, reason why shorty legs and hopefully uneventfully flights, softening the monthly expenses and consequently complaints about expensive hobbies.

Still far away from it, and for sure some of the destinations will change with time according to an increase knowledge of the surrounding areas in terms of GA friendly airfields, schedule, fuel accessibility and prices and places to visit.

LPSR, Portugal

Unless I missed something, there’s no reason you should have to go around C & D airspace. You do carry radio and transponder, don’t you?

Do make an habit of checking the low-altitude military training flights, though, in France.

On a more general note: I find it a bit strange that you mention no particular “sights to see”. The Mont Saint Michel should be on your list, I think.

And BTW did you think of including the Channel Islands for low-tax fuel?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan, I do have an IFR equipped aircraft.
Yes, mont Saint Michel is a go place. I did plan EGJJ on the way back but probably a refuel stop on the way in its not a bad idea. Thanks.

LPSR, Portugal

The UK is simple. Everything not on the 1:500k chart is Class G (lots of it) and you can fly it non-radio, VFR or IFR

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

France is pretty straightforward. Most of the mil airspace is very low, so just go above it. The UK, on the other hand, has the worst airspace I’ve ever encountered, unless you fly really low. So: fly high in France, go low in the UK and you’ll be fine!

EGPE Inverness, yes. Just call them first (very friendly), you will park on the north apron and exit through a turnstile gate. Go back in through the security gate to the left of the main terminal and follow the walkways to the left. Landing/parking fee usually paid by leaving your details on a form.

EGPH Edinburgh, no, unless you want exorbitant handling fees and the hassle of a busy international terminal. EGPN Dundee, then the train to Edinburgh, would be much better and more fun for your family with the train ride across the bridges. Again, call them first per AIP and also call Tayside Aviation for parking on the grass. There are other options for catching a train to Edinburgh such as EGPG Cumbernauld, or EGPT Perth which is very GA friendly and home of the Scottish Aero Club.

If you have the time you should also fly over to the West Coast of Scotland – not to be missed on a good day. One day last Summer from EGEO Oban to Perth, over the Great Glen (the Caledonian Canal, Loch Ness etc.), we could see both ends from Atlantic to Moray Firth. Spectacular. Oban would be a nice place to stay with your family for a day or two (Lochnell Arms Hotel, next to the airport, does great lunches or take a short taxi ride into Oban for B&B or hotel), and you even could pop over to Glenforsa airfield on Mull for lunch.

Last Edited by NeilC at 14 Jan 20:16
NeilC
EGPT, LMML

Here is a trip writeup which includes Scotland. The west coast is indeed very scenic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EIME is a military airport.

EIMH, Ireland

lmsl1967 wrote:

EGNS – EIME
EIME – EGJJ

Unless you have military business or state connections, EIME is out. They don’t accept any civil traffic. EIWT Weston is your best bet and is right beside EIME. EIWT is the GA airfield for Dublin.

I too would encourage you to go to the west coast of Scotland. Around Skye is beautiful.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Unless I’m missing something I don’t think you will get a slot at EGLL that’s Heathrow!

Why not try EGKA Shoreham and get the train to London in around 1hr

Last Edited by Alex_ at 14 Jan 20:38
Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message