Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Summer trip to the Atlantic coasts of Spain and France (long!)

Yes, GA activity in Spain is at an all-time low, mainly as a result of the economic crisis and the cost of fuel. At my home base (LESB, Mallorca), flight schools drive the activity. Plenty of 'hangar queens' too (250 euro/month) and tarmac ladies (50 euro/month). The ladies are rapidly losing their beauty. Some fly very occasionally, to keep them more or less airworthy. Most just sit there, and even if they would try to fly they'd need an awful long ground-run with these flat tires.

Some good news: the UL-community has not shrunk, may even have grown a little owing to some GA-pilots migrating there. Now 2 official airfields, and a new one coming on-line soon owned by a great guy who spent 5 years to legalize it! There used to be a lot more, until a very zealous 'Aviacion Civil' officer made it his ultimate goal in life to eradicate them.. Quite a cat and mouse game, and there are still a few mice that even he hasn't spotted. Luckily you can only see them from the air, and our officer is afraid of flying :)

A bit more OT: If you know where to go, the med coast is also worth while traveling.. You will need to be VFR (VMC quite likely though). From North to South:

1. Ampuriabrava, LEAP (just on the other side of the Pyrenees from Perpignan). Privately owned, very lively field, lots of para-activity, watch out..

2. Sabadell, LELL, near Barcelona. Good field. Peter mentioned in a previous thread the excellent service of a company called 100 alas who drives up to your aircraft in a comfortable car and takes you to Barcelona for 80 euros. Don't forget to take a picture with his cab next to your plane, and him with his hat on..

3. Igualada, LEIG, 45 km west of Barcelona. Privately owned (did not find out by who..). 900 m runway, lined by old hangars and a factory that produces balloons. No landing fees, no tower, no fuel, no nothing but a bunch of nice aviation looneys having fun there. No radio

4. Castellon, LECN, between Barcelona and Valencia. Right on the beach. Very informal. Rumors that it will be closed, but who knows. No radio. A bit of a nasty pothole halfway down the runway, hope they fixed that..

5. Requena, LERE, 70 km west of Valencia. Have not been there, but I hear positive things. Private, friendly, informal.

6. Mutxamiel, north of Alicante. Have not been there yet, but seems nice and informal. Private, no fuel..

7. La Axarquia, LEAX, near Malaga. Have not been there yet, but seems nice and informal. Private.

Anyway, plenty of info on the web of course..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Aart,

Thank you for your advice.

I have a very vague (and maybe crazy) plan to fly to southern Spain (mainly Andalusia) in the first week of december and am wondering:

1. Is it worthwhile? Everything shut or not?

2. am I correct that there is no airfield (not even a "strip) in the area of Marbella? I understand that Malaga is very expensive (both in lamding fees and mandatory handling fees) and Granada, while very cheap, is becoming a very long drive. Any chance to get a dar delivered to La Axarquia?

3. What's the current situation on landing permission and parking for two or three days at Gibraltar?

4. Any other nice secret airfields in the very south of Spain? Happy with 500 metres.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi Boscomantico,

I don't know exactly what you are looking for in terms of entertainment. Nonetheless, let me try and answer your questions.

1. Things slow down significantly in Southern Spain in winter, but it is not completely dead. Plenty of retired Brits and Germans slowly strolling down the seaside boulevards if that is what you like looking at ;)

2. No strip near Marbella that I know of. Yes, Malaga is a rip-off, 250 euros or so all-in, but you have the convenience of cheap rental cars. As to Granada, indeed a bit farther from the south coast, but a very scenic drive from there to Malaga, especially the inland route. Olive trees plantations all the way.. But what about spending some time in Granada itself in case you have not been there? The Alhambra is truly spectacular. And a driving up the Sierra Nevada too, although you may not be looking for being in the snow. Temps in Granada will be a bit chilly compared to the coast. As to LEAX, I know someone that will be able to get you get you a car there, so let me know.

3. Gibraltar is non-Schengen, so you would need to first stop at a customs field like Granada or Malaga. I have not been to Gib, but there is mandatory handling. IIRC someone told me it is about 100 euro for landing incl handling. Don't know about parking, should not be outrageous. Bear in mind that when the wind is blowing from the south the landing is going to be interesting.. Also, no doubt you have heard of the recent political tensions between the UK and Spain regarding Gib. Consequently, expect delays at the border if you want to go to Spain.

4. I am afraid my knowledge of secret airfields does not extend beyond Mallorca :)

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I have landed once in Malaga, but that was 2003. The airport was cool, nice infrastructure.. Don't remember the fees ...but fees from 2003 are not relevant anyway.

But I really hated the coast, the hotels, the geman beer pubs, the sausage places and all that stuff. I think I saw 250.000 drunk germans and brits in one day, and I promised myself that i would NEVER come back. I admit that I only saw the beachside, and I have not been to Marbella, but others told me that it's just the same only more expensive.

Another year I flew to BILBAO. Now I really liked that place. Interesting city, cool Gehry arts museum, and a good place for a couple of days.

Thx!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message