Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sunglasses for the more mature pilot

Following @172driver I got myself another pair of these, but now with gradient shading. Brand is Silhouette, titanium, very light and thin legs, zero leaking of noise under the headset. In my case multifocals. Quite happy with them, for driving too. The only slight disadvantage is they are a little voluminous when folded because of the rounded glasses.

EDITED. Beware. I read that they are a little fragile. So that means they go well along with the Bose headsets

Last Edited by aart at 12 Mar 17:34
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

I guess that you don’t have an issue with wing reflections in a 172.

Hahah, brilliant! You’re right, in the Cessnas I fly wing reflection isn’t an issue. What you could to is to put these side ‘blinkers’ that are used not only by horses but also by mountaineers on your glasses. The problem is, they reduce your field of vision. I have some glacier goggles that have these things, don’t really know what they’re called.

Thanks @172driver. I guess that you don’t have an issue with wing reflections in a 172.

But the problem is solved. By my wife as usual. Well, it was not much of a puzzle for her since she calls me ‘donkey’ regularly after one of my senior moments.

Better get ADS-B IN now in addition to ADS-B out with these on..

I have gradient shaded bi-focal lenses put into Ray Ban aviator frames. They are completely clear at the bottom and what I’d call medium tinted at the top with the gradient running down to where the near-vision (calculated for the distance to the panel, pretty much what an optician would call ’computer glasses) starts. They work very well, only downside is the weight, as the lenses are pretty heavy.

@aart, unless you find an optician who does the tinting in-house (mine does, but very few do), you’ll prob90 have difficulty finding side-tinted lenses.

For other activities such as sailing or skiing, I usually wear day lenses and non-prescription sunglasses, but since the contacts never correct precisely, I sprung last year for a pair of the Serengeti Modugno with the “drivers gradient” non-polarised lenses. Due to my astigmatism, it was challenging to find a lens shape and curvature that could deal with the cylindrical correction, and I am now very happy with it. The lenses are slightly photochromic and with the gradient, I have great visibility onto the instrument panel while the outside glare is attenuated a lot.

EHRD / Rotterdam

Slightly different topic on sunglasses:

My sunglasses are quite dark which is needed down here. However, the cockpit screens do appear a little dark in spite of them being at max brightness.

So I thought of getting ‘gradual shading’ sunglasses. Looking out the windshield through the dark bit, and onto the screens through the unshaded (or less shaded) bit. I understand people use this for driving to get the same advantage.

The only disadvantage I can see is that much light may still get to the eyes from the sides. The reflections of the low wings. But maybe one could get some shading on the glasses at the side/bottom too? May look a little awkward but I don’t care about that.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last Edited by aart at 16 Feb 06:31

I can now report that the Hydrotac lenses are brilliant and due to not being fresnel they are much better than the 3M ones above.

Still not as even as proper lenses (I would not use them for reading a book) but perfectly usable for readings things occassionally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There are other press-on inserts which don’t use the fresnel principle and they should work better. You can find the on amazon

Correct. I’ve tried both and while the 3M ones may be optically better (read: more correct, according to my optometrist), the El Cheapo ones on Amazon actually work better. I don’t need them on my flying bi-focal sunnnies but have them on the clear night flying specs. Work a treat.

A little update on the topic of reading inserts:

You can get stick-on ones. They actually use no adhesive; you just wet them and push them on. There are various products on the market; this is one which uses a fresnel lens material which is obviously a constant thickness

but as one might expect it is difficult to read small text through it due to the fresnel lens construction. Here it is on some glasses used for skiing; these are just Julbo sunglasses with distance correction lenses, and you can see the press-on insert

There are other press-on inserts which don’t use the fresnel principle and they should work better. You can find them on amazon – example.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can highly recommend Zeiss Skylet glasses, they are contrast enhancing and non-polarizing. I bought them when I was gliding a lot and it’s a real treat, especially on hazy days or when the sun is low you can still clearly see the cloud contours. Who needs a radar when you can look right through it ;)

EDAV, Germany
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message