Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Swedish Piper Malibu Meridian crash N164ST

Very lucky, indeed … I’ve seen planes much less destroyed with everybody dead. No excessive g-forces that means …

Amazing to walk away from that. It has a strong cabin for sure.

EGTK Oxford

I’m glad nobody was seriously hurt!

… if that series continues they will probably reintroduce the PA46 type rating.

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 13 Feb 21:29
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I suppose breaking off the wings completely is handy in that if there is a fire, you should be OK…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Particularly as he would have had full fuel.

EGTK Oxford

Engine failures are very rare but from all piston airplane installations, the PA46 is the one I would trust least. An engine at the absolute top of the power spectrum in an installation where you constantly need very high power settings combined with very limited cooling. It eats through cylinders like there’s no tomorrow and especially the Continental engines have a fatal failure mode where a cylinder head separates from the barrel. The Lycomings have fewer fatal failure modes but aren’t durable either in the PA46.

JetProp really did the right thing with this airframe…

Last Edited by achimha at 14 Feb 08:08

I suppose breaking off the wings completely is handy in that if there is a fire, you should be OK…

Also much better to hit the wings to dissipate the energy rather than hit the cabin first.

Very lucky, indeed.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Some more information from the local newpaper: (www.vlt.se). The paper had interview with the pilot and the the two passengers (also pilots), as well as witnesses and rescuers.

The pilot experienced loss of power immediately after takeoff and put the aircraft down on what witnesses said was the only possible spot. The departure from ESOW RWY 19 is over a lake and the crash site is on an island about 1 km straight ahead from the departure end of the 2581 m long runway. It appears that the aircraft was under control all the way.

The pilot suffered a broken nose and a cracked cheekbone. One of the passengers was briefly unconscious after the crash. The pilot got his license in 1989. Nothing was said about his flight experience.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Engine failures are very rare but from all piston airplane installations, the PA46 is the one I would trust least.

According to the link in the original post, this was a turbine powered aircraft.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
60 Posts
Sign in to add your message